Basic curriculum

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Anlyse
User

Basic curriculum

Postby Anlyse » Thu May 08, 2008 9:10 am

Think I may have a dash of my son's learning disability in that I find too many choices a little overwelming. Stucturing ideas in a logical sequence is not one of my strong points. I'm fabulous with creative thinking but this tends to be scattered and hard for me to organise. I love the idea of 'unschooling' but being new to the whole idea of Home Education I just find this very daunting at present.
I'm staring at my son's exemption form, knowing that I've got to put some sort of a program together and not feeling at all confident. I really have no idea where to even begin. I've got heaps of ideas in front of me.

Please, I would be so grateful if I could just get some sort of basic program for my 7yr old(which suited children with learning disability) so I can put some of my ideas into a prearranged framework. I would then be able to have an idea of where we are going within subjects and basic standards to aim for. Stucture is crtical for my son so it really is important to get this right.

Can anyone help??

Sincerely, Anna

schoolingK2
User

Postby schoolingK2 » Wed May 28, 2008 2:22 pm

Anna,

I have posted my story under the link "homeschooling my IEP son". If you read this you will under stand more of what I'll say.

What do you think you sons disability is? It helps to know.

I've used Saxon phonics and Saxon math. It is geared toward children with learning disabilities. But it is more traditional. When we pulled our daughter out of the school system this gave her what she was use to, it added stability.

All other subjects we are completely hands on with no text. I use the Sols as my guide. We do library every week and participate in programs there as well as other home-school groups.

I have to do our daughter's vision therapy, which is 6 hours every day. I don't have time for text books. This has worked for us.

I hope this helps you some. Feel free to email me if you want to brain storm some more,

Jennifer

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”