Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question about upper case/lower case letters
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
memmerrill
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So I guess most of us are in agreement that teaching both at the same time avoids some confusion later?

~gardening momma

No, not everyone here agrees that is the best way to do it, but I do! Smile
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gardening momma wrote:
No problem...I understand.

So I guess most of us are in agreement that teaching both at the same time avoids some confusion later?

I'm not sure we're in agreement, lol.

I prefer Spalding's method: Teach lower case first and primarily, teach upper case as necessary, along with the rule for using upper case (proper nouns, first letter in a sentence, etc.).

I have read many messages from parents on other forums who taught upper case first and then spent *years* remediating because their dc used upper-case letters indiscriminately in their writing.
Caretaker of 2 dear kitties, 1 French bulldog, 1 dachsund, and 3 budgies
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we introduced both capital and lowercase letters to the children at the same time, we began teaching them to write with capital letters. I do so regret that. They write everything in all capitals!

I'm starting to think that it would have been better to teach them to write the lowercase letters first and then teach them when and where a capital letter is appropriate.

When the baby gets old enough to learn to write I think I will teach him lowercase letters first.
memmerrill
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your experience, Ophelia. I'll definitely keep that in mind as I choose handwriting curriculum!
fullhandswith3

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 11:21 am    Post subject: Lower Case First Reply with quote

I believe that it is most important to teach lower case first because that is what children see most of the time when reading. The vaste majority of letters in books are the lower case. I teach the lower case at 3 and the upper case at 4 years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: