Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Real" School & The School Bus

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: "Real" School & The School Bus Reply with quote

While @ my in-laws the other day, my 5 yr old ds asked when he could go to "real" school & ride the "school bus". i almost froze b/c (a) we've never really talked about that (b) my in-laws totally do NOT understand why we chose to homeschool and act like it's really just a matter of time before i enroll them in public school. Since he's 5 I think they are just waiting to see what action we will take when it's time for him to enter 1st grade. We are just about done w/ preschool at this time.

How do you answer your child when they ask the question when are they going to get to ride the school bus & go to "real" school? I'm not quite sure my answer sufficed him. Again, being totally blown away at the question, I think I told him something along the lines that some children go to public school (a.k.a. "real" school) and some children school at home and then I think I just changed the subject so that my in-laws would not put their opions in.
Miguelsmommy
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first thought is he may be picking up on subtleties that your in-laws do not mean for him to notice. that's what I got from your first PH.

I would take him on a bus trip if you can like a gray hound for the day or something. Have you sat down and told him why you homeschool him? If you can make a list of all the things you and he like to do together and take off the things that would interfere with school and dinner to show him. Is there a summer program at the local elementary school he can go to. Does your state allow him to participate in extracurricular activities? then he can take the late bus home.

Have you asked him WHY he wants to go? it may be something he thinks he can get out of school that he can't get at home that you can remedy. My sons reason was his cousin told him in school you don't HAVE to listen to teachers.

As a last effort I did a day of school with Miguel. I did I made our office into a regular class within an hour he no longer wanted to go to school even though it wasn't like I was being harsh. The inability to speak every second, and move every second was to much for him.

It also helps that all the kids that he meets tell him he's lucky.
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, i think that's a great idea about asking my ds why he wants to go to "real" school. i'm sure i can explain things to him about why we chose to homeschool him. he's a pretty understanding little fella anyway. however, i'm not quite sure about taking the greyhound w/ him. not sure it would be safe enough. thanks alot for the great advice.
Jill
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My youngest was in K for 2 1/2 months and she had the "wanting to ride a school bus issue." (We drove her to school.)
When we started HS she was so disappointed because now she would NEVER get to ride a school bus! There just must be something magical to kids about riding a bus. Until you actually have to do it everyday. Wink Then she got to ride one (it was actually a church bus, but it looked like a school bus) and decided it wasn't that big of a deal after all, and that was the end of that.
Maybe you could find some other activitiy (the YMCA, a camp, church, ect.) that uses a "school" bus just for the experience.
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks jill. i think we'll look into doing something like that. appreciate your advice.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 5 and 6 year olds were so interested in the School Bus. They ran to the window to watch it everyday. They had a million questions about it. Then one day they learned that you don't take your booster seat with you on the school bus. That changed everything. My 6 year old son exclaimed "Well that's just not safe!" and neither child has been interested in riding on the bus since.

I hope that one day they have the opportunity to see inside a school bus but for right now, I'm glad the interest in the school bus has been lost.

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey thanks. that's a great idea about the car seats. that will most likely work for him since he COMPLETELY understands the importance of safety. my sister works for a company/organization called SafeKids & helps us understand seat belt & car seat safety. thanks for the thought.
Emerging Dad
User

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode the bus until I graduated high school. If you want, I could tell your kids some stories about what happens on the bus that could blister their ears. Confused

Semper Reformanda!
4given
User

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Laughing
douglisa
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is so happy he does not have to ride it anymore! Laughing All the bullies and unsupervised kids really were hard for him. Imagine driving a school bus with so many kids ranging in ages k-highschool and having to keep your eyes and attention on the road.
One day the driver almost got in an accident while he yelled to the back of the bus to behave. Maybe if you tell them how the school bus really is they will not want to go on it. My kid had candy put in his hair one day and was spit on the next.
Also, maybe you could take them on a city bus just to ride so they get the feel of it without all the brat kids and screaming bus driver.
bubbaansissy
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, after we joined the YMCA, i let him go on one of their buses to see what it was like. he said ooh, it's dirty & stinky, let's get off this bus. so we did & he hasn't mentioned riding on one since. plus, i did kind of explain that some kids aren't very nice when they are on the bus...not as a scare tactic, but to be honest about it. at least that's how it was when i was a kid.

Homeschooling Mama of Jake & Kenzie Leigh
Wife of Phil (Military Dad)

Our motto for now: accidents happen.......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: