Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thawing Food Tips

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Thawing Food Tips Reply with quote

I hate it when I realize that it's two o'clock and the food I planned or thought about planning is still frozen. Sometimes, I can thaw out in microwave, but I really am not crazy about doing that. I find that if the frozen portions are small, they won't take too long to thaw. For example: freeze individual chicken pieces or large fish cut into serving sizes and either freeze on cookie sheet and then bag them, or just wrap or bag individually. Same goes for pork chops, meatballs, sausages, etc. I buy ground beef in bulk, then cut through opened package into about one pound squares. Wrap or freeze each square, bag, and label.
When I only have 2 hours or so to thaw, I put in large bowl cover with cool water and change often (cause the water becomes too cold.)
If you don't get too distracted, it is even better to do this in the morning. By lunch time you might be able to prepare dinner early (like a casserole or marinate meat) and cook the meal when time.
Regina
4given
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great suggestions. I'm doing good to divide beef into the 2-3 portions planned for that weeks meals, much less chicken or pork chops. I'm exhausted after the trip to the grocery stores.

I sometimes pull out meat in the early morning, soak it in cool water, then forget to ever change the water! I hate those days. What's for dinner? I don't know. You tell me.

I get these great ideas that I'm gonna prepare meatloaf or some casserole the night before. It rarely happens for me. Is there any hope for me?!

In my defense, I haven't starved any of my family...yet. Very Happy
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the feeling. That's when I fix breakfast for dinner: waffles along with bacon or scrapple, grits, eggs, and sliced fruit. That is really a lot more work than baking potatoes in the oven with a roasting chicken and steaming green beans. Other times, if we are deep in a project, cereal and strawberry smoothies are easy
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I have to ask. Regina, what is scrapple?
Regina Hogsten

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrapple is a combination of pig scraps, cornmeal, flour, salt, and spices formed into a gray loaf. Doesn't sound appetizing, does it? So delicious sliced thin (some like it thicker) and fried crisp on each side 7 minutes. Some like it with syrup, not me. It is one of those dishes you grow up on and don't give a second thought to eating. It is the same with crabs. They look intimidating, but very tasty. Scrapple is a regional food: Appalachia, Philadelphia, other parts of PA, New Jersey, and Maryland.
There are several brands. When my dad, who lives in DE, comes to visit, he drives through Bridgeville, DE where Rapa Scrapple is made. I can always count on Dad to bring us a freshly made loaf.

http://www.sussexcountyonline.com/artman/publish/opinion/kerin092403.shtml
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Home Economics with Regina Hogsten All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: