Care-giver Stress

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Regina Hogsten

Care-giver Stress

Postby Regina Hogsten » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:12 am

4given
User

Postby 4given » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:22 pm

I sometimes take a drive once my husband is home to care for the kids. It may be a 15-20 trip to drop a letter at the Post Office. That's enough to help me step back...and refocus.

I may shed a few tears while in the shower. It seems to be a good release when I'm feeling down but can't quite figure out why. Can anyone relate to that?

There are lots of other things that I want to try when it's practical. Crocheting, sketching, pastels, reading for MY own pleasure...these are things on the horizon.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:31 pm

I do a lot of different things, and never really stay on any one thing for long. I've painted with the children, just simple acrylics, on mat board, or rocks. I've cross stitched, crocheted, knitted,... crafts DO help if you can do them. I also find that sitting down and ignoring the pile of laundry that I am sitting on top of, and cuddling on the couch with the boys and reading them all a pile of stories, is great for all of us. We all benefit, it is good for me to relax, and it is great time together for them. the boys love those old cultural legend books at the library, and I do too, so we get a pile of those and sit down and enjoy. The trick is to ignore the rest of the things that you aren't doing.

I have a plaque:

Cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow..
for babies grow up we've learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

:)
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:32 pm

You just supplied my new motto!!! :lol:

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:04 pm

Let some things slide once in a while. Ignore some of the petty stuff. As long as you are not a week behind in the laundry and there is something to fix for dinner then take a break. Play with the kids and do something nice for yourself even if its only for 30 minutes. And try not to feel guilty about it. When I exercise or sit at computer or couch and my husband walks in, I say, oh I just sat down, or I won't be too long. He says he doesn't care if I sit or exercise all day, so stop that guilty stuff. Anyway, he's told me that for years, I don't feel that way much anymore. Hey, he takes a nap or sits to relax when he wants and doesn't feel a morsel of guilt.

ArkansasHomeschooler
User

Postby ArkansasHomeschooler » Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:21 pm

4given
User

Postby 4given » Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:02 pm

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:52 pm

I would like to watch a very funny movie, one that would really make me laugh. Not exclusively a guy movie or a chik flik, just entertaining and really funny. I don't watch many movies, but I would if I thought it was worth my time.

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”