Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hardest/easiest states
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
*Angie*
User

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in New Brunswick, Canada. All that's required here is filling out an "intent to homeschool" and submitting to the school district. No testing, reporting, record keeping, etc is required. The government is pretty homeschool friendly, in that we're allowed to borrow a local public school's textbooks for a year, can choose to have our kids included in the provincial exams, and have access to standardized testing if we want it. The downside to homeschooling here, is that it's not a very popular option, so finding real-life support is difficult.
laurabeth
User

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SC has 3 options, through the district is the most difficult, and then option 2 is an association with a lot of requirements to them instead of the state (like standardized testing), but option 3 is fairly easy. With option 3 you join an association ranging from free on up (depending on benefits offered). You are required to do 180 days, teach reading, writing, math, social studies, and science (in 7th grade reading and writing become composition and literature), you have to maintain attendance records, daily or weekly journal of activities and subjects taught, and portfolio for each child with semi annual progress report. The association I am in requires a semi annual "checklist" for me to verify to them that I have done 90 days (mid-year) and 180 days (end year), but this only goes to them and all other records are seen only by me unless a problem arises. Also you must have a High school diploma or GED. With option 3 there is no required testing or hour per day requirement.
CoconutCookie
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in Pa, and though we have more requirements than others, it's not intolerable (though I would LOVE for the state legislature to finally pass the "evaluation" only law -- in which we'd only have to submit the evaluator's letter to the district at the end of the year), but it is a bit of a pain the the behind at times.

Some districts try to require more than the law requires, which is a huge problem for some, but I am lucky that our district follows the law so I have had no hassles Smile

I would love to live in one of the less rigid states, or to have Pa adopt some of the less strict policies.

Maybe someday Smile (someday soon would be perfect, lol)
isamama
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MT is easy; all that is expected is to notify then keep attendance, which doesn't have to be turned in. I learned this after I had been turning mine in.

NH, unless the law has changed since 95/96, requires either testing or evaluation by a certified teacher. I used a recommended hs friendly certified teacher and it was like having a friend over for a visit.

WY, from what I've read only requires that you submit a curriculum plan. It doesn't need to be fancy just a list of textbooks or scope and sequence.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest US state is Alaska. According to the hslda website they have 5 options but if you choose to simply homeschool then they don't require anything. No notification or record keeping, nothing at all. If it just wasn't so darn cold there. Very Happy
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ncmom wrote:
NC is pretty easy. You have to name your school and send in an intent form to the Dept of nonpublic education and you have to test every year but the parents can choose which test to use and administer the test, and there are no records to keep other than attendance (yea right where else would they be) and they just have to be kept in the home. You don't have to send in anything to the state, your schedule is your choice, your curriculum is your choice. In fact I haven't heard anything from the state other than a yearly postcard asking if my school is still open since I started.

NC law is not bad, but DNPE is another story. They want people to include photocopies of their high school diplomas when they first start hsing (not required by law), they want people to use their form (ditto) which asks for infomation not required by law (names of any teachers, *directions to your home*); the annual postcard is not required by law; and last year DNPE began having meetings where people were supposed to show up to have their records inspected *and* they were supposed to bring their dc. ACK!

Of course, the only reason DNPE can get away with this is that hsers are complying instead of actually obeying the law. NCHE (state-wide hs group) encourages folks to go along with all the illegal requirements so that DNPE won't get snarky and change the law to make it more restrictive. NCHE hasn't figured out that DNPE doesn't have to change the law; people are lining up to over-comply.

Off my soapbox now Smile
hmschooling
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AR is quite easy.
You file an intent to homeschool and do it. No records or logs. Standardized testing 3rd thru 12th. Child can't place more than 2 (I think) grade levels below his actual grade.

To withdraw mid-year, you give your intent and "have to" wait two weeks to take them out. They said we could take her out that day, she would just be counted absent in class without consequence.

I heard TX is the easier b/c you can just not go back to school or never go...no testing, no intents, no logs....nada.
riccalo
User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michigan is an extremely home school friendly state and you have two options to choose from.

If you choose option 1 you (the parent or guardian) are only required by the state to teach children between the ages of 6 and 16 the following subjects; Reading, Spelling, Mathematics, Science, History, Civics, Literature, Writing, and English Grammar. There are no requirements to notify the state or school, seek approval, test, file forms, or have any certain teacher qualifications. There are no specific number of school days or hours mandated.

Option 2 is a bit strict. To operate a home school as a nonpublic school you need to adhere to the following. Subjects taught must be "comparable to those taught in the public schools". Have teacher certification (unless claiming a religious exemption. Submit notice, to the department of education and the local superintendent, at start of each school year a statement of enrollment. Maintain records of enrollment, courses of study, and qualifications of teachers (must be submitted to the Department of Education upon request). There are no requirements to test and no specific number of school days or hours mandated.

Here is a link to a more detailed analysis from the HSLDA website. http://www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/Michigan.pdf

-Erica
ArkansasHomeschooler
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmschooling wrote:
AR is quite easy.
You file an intent to homeschool and do it. No records or logs. Standardized testing 3rd thru 12th. Child can't place more than 2 (I think) grade levels below his actual grade.

Almost right. No one but the homeschooling parent even sees the test results. There WAS an attempt in the House of Representatives to make the results available to the local district, and require that students attend public school if they tested below level, but it didn't pass.

Actually, I like the testing. I use it as a measure of how we're doing. I was rather disappointed that they reduced it to math and reading only. For the last two years, it's been a full spectrum of subjects and skills.

Sheila
Decrease
User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

State laws by HSLDA are categorized in four categories. The easiest states they list include:

Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Idaho, Alaska, Connecticut, New Jersey.

The most strict states include:

North Dakota, Vermont, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Massachusetts.

Virginia is one that has moderate regulations unless you approach it from the religious exemption clause, then there are fewer regulations.
lisalinnay
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ArkansasHomeschooler wrote:

No one but the homeschooling parent even sees the test results. . . .they reduced it to math and reading only.

Is that correct? That's not bad. But what's the point? Just a formality? What grades do they require testing? Is it just once a year or more often?

We're considering moving to Arkansas soon and want to know what to expect.
Psalm 86:11 Teach me your way, O Lord,
and I will walk in your truth. . .

Academic Software and LeapFrog Toys at Discount prices
http://voisales.com
ArkansasHomeschooler
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lisalinnay wrote:

Is that correct? That's not bad. But what's the point? Just a formality? What grades do they require testing? Is it just once a year or more often?

We're considering moving to Arkansas soon and want to know what to expect.

Testing is once a year. Arkansas uses the Iowa Basic Skills Test for grades 3-9 only. For the last two years it was a full battery of tests that lasted 3 days (morning only). This year, we only test one morning. Reading and math are the only subjects.

And yes, it is a formality. For some strange reason, our legislators decided HSers should be required to test in the same grades that public schoolers test. Anyone not testing can be charged as truant.

Here's the official site: http://www.afsc.k12.ar.us/vnews/display.v/ART/4713bf23b162f/

Here is the page with info on homeschool law: http://www.afsc.k12.ar.us/vnews/display.v/ART/4741cd3f815b4

Sheila
lisalinnay
User

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! That's very helpful.
Psalm 86:11 Teach me your way, O Lord,
and I will walk in your truth. . .

Academic Software and LeapFrog Toys at Discount prices
http://voisales.com
JerbysMom
User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Indiana Homeschool law Reply with quote

I have to say Indiana has the easiest homeschool laws. All you do is let the DOE know that you're homeschooling by filling out an online form (name, address, phone number, that's IT). They assign you a number, and designate you as a "private school". You're supposed to keep track of attendance (180 days) just in case the state or local superintentdent asks for it, which probably won't happen. Other than that you're completely on your own. Homeschool kids are actually FORBIDDEN from taking state standardized tests.
4given
User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you inform the DOE as a courtesy? I'm in Indiana and I haven't seen anything that requires that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: