great organization tips - let's share!

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mommyto2girls
User

great organization tips - let's share!

Postby mommyto2girls » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:31 pm

I would love to know the things that make your life run smoother.

Here are a few of mine:

For the car, we have a back of the seat organizer for each of our girls. We keep it stocked with coloring books, preschool skill workbooks, crayons, story books, small toys ($ tree, prizes in goody bags from birthday parties, happy meal toys, etc), and usually a few snack choices. I rotate them out every couple of months or so. I also added a clip on book light that gives enough light for them but doesn't distract the driver ~ unless like my 3 year old they take it off and twirl it around and around and around (you get the picture).

I also just got a new washer and dryer (thanks, honey!) and I am going to be doing laundry only once a week. I will sort them in my room into baskets labeled with each person's name. When I get it all done, I will put it away (that sweet husband would rather dress out of the basket and the baby is too young yet - the 3 year old puts her own away).

I keep all of my recipes in a 3 ring binder in page protectors - either as I print them off the internet or type the ones I use (especially during my once a month cooking sessions). When I get ready to plan a menu, I flip through and make my list. When I get in the mood, I try new ones. If they are good, they get a spot in the notebook!

Now tell us yours!!

FCMomofaBunch
User

Postby FCMomofaBunch » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:28 pm

Hi There!

I saw that you keep items in your car to keep the kids occupied, and I came across this website that might be helpful to homeschoolers that find themselves driving all over town getting kids to lessons, practices, etc.

http://www.carschooling.com

It sounds funny now, but I'm sure it might work for some families.

I like your idea with recipes. I print lots of recipes off the internet, and they get tossed if the kids don't like the recipes. If they're liked, they are kept. I should just organize them in a 3 ring binder.

My kids are much younger and I may have 3 in diapers soon, (if dd doesn't figure out the potty chair soon), (Ugh, diaper change), I always check diapers at one time. I found I was going crazy checking kids every 15-30 minutes, so I just change every one or two hours.

I start laundry on Mondays. I do about two loads a day and finish up mid week, even though it seems like I'm washing kids clothes all the time. I used to do all the laundry on Mondays, but I was finding myself stressed, walking around the house, back and forth, hauling laundry to the laundry room, folding, then putting away. A little at a time works better for me.

Maybe I don't have any advice that helps, but I just wanted to add my two cents.
Andrea
Mom to Anna (3), Gabriel (1.5) and Baby Madeline

Mathmom
User

Postby Mathmom » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:28 pm

happy2bhome
User

chore cards

Postby happy2bhome » Mon May 19, 2008 5:09 pm

We decided what needed to be done daily, weekly, monthly, seasonally and yearly. We decided who would do what job when. I wrote the chore, who was to do it and when on index cards. Then I color coded them based on the time interval. Pink for daily, green for seasonally, etc. I also give cards for one time jobs when I think of something that needs to be done.
I decided monthly jobs were on Mon., inside weekly on Friday, outside weekly on Tuesday or Thursday (depending on weather), games on Wednesday, etc. I made a fabric sorter to hang on the wall. Each of the 8 children has a pocket for their cards. Our home is much more orderly. No one is waiting for me to tell them the jobs for the day. I just say "go work your cards". When school starts up again, I will have cards for their subjects as well. I will likely put the cards in the order they are to be done so that chores, school, games, playing with younger siblings, etc will be planned out.
Teresa L.

douglisa
User

Postby douglisa » Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:39 am

Glottis
User

Postby Glottis » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:33 am

i consider myself as an organized person, sometimes a little too organized me thinks.. :D, but i sure picked up a tip or two from you guys that i will definitely try out...

Lorelei Sieja
User

Organizing Kitchen

Postby Lorelei Sieja » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:27 pm

Lorelei Sieja
www.raisingcreativechildren.com
Nurturing Creative Young Minds and Wiggly Bodies

heenakapoor
User

Postby heenakapoor » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:51 am

I love Gardening. When I free, I go in my garden and care of my plants like plant seeds, cut grass and make sure plants are healthy. It makes me healthy and enjoyable.
Some time I like reading books. It make my life very smoother because when I read good writers books and learn from their experience of life, I think how can I apply them in my life.
Some time I like to teach small children because when they play, smiling.. etc, I enjoy these moments.

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”