list of hints

Cooking, herbs, gardening, sewing, flower arrangement, building, decorating, and more!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune, Regina Hogsten

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:58 am

If you dropped food on the floor and then gave it a few hours to grow bacteria afterwards, you could probably make yourself sick, but I really don't see the problem as long as you eat the food immediately. Takes a lot of bacteria to give you food poisoning.

I get mild cases of food poisoning a few times per year, but I'm pretty sure it's only from undercooked chicken.

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:50 pm

Use a meat thermometer. There are several kinds and most are a few dollars. It takes the guess work out of cooking meat. 170 to 175 degrees for breasts. 175 to 180 degrees for dark meat.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:28 am

It's easy to tell when the meat is undercooked, it's still pinkish on the inside. :)

Regina Hogsten

Postby Regina Hogsten » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:47 pm

I like steak pinkish, but not chicken. My family went to an event where the guests were served "special" fried chicken tenders. They looked delicious, and they were special. The inside was raw cold meat. The waitresses were in a hurry to retrieve that chicken and get it back to the kitchen.

A quick way to cook chicken is to slice chicken breasts into strips. Then saute in olive oil with onions or leeks, garlic, basil, and oregano. It should be done in 10 minutes. Or the night before, place chicken strips, some Italian salad dressing, and onions in zip back overnight. Pour off liquid and cook until done.

Return to “Home Economics with Regina Hogsten”