Homeschooling- Private Tutor

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

irvk
User

Homeschooling- Private Tutor

Postby irvk » Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:43 pm

Hi. I am new to the forum and mother of 2 girls (ages 1 and 3). I am considering homeschooling my children. I am currently a teacher in the public school system in our town and this is not the environment I want for my children. My problem is that we cannot afford to live on one salary (my husband's). I need to bring home income. I read that in FL you can set up your homeschooling under a "private tutor" label as long as you are certified to teach in the areas that you are teaching (I am certified K-12). I am considering the possibility of "homeschooling" a few other children in my home and charging a modest tuition to help allieviate the financial burden of not working. Has anyone ever heard of someone doing such a thing? It seems to me that it is legal? Thoughts? Advice??

Thanks so much for listening!

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:03 pm

If you're certified to teach, then it should be perfectly legal.

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:47 pm

Are you thinking that the children would come to your home daily? In that case, I would think it would be a private school and not tutoring. You might want to check into the legalities of that, too.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Feb 21, 2008 4:01 pm

It's just a difference of responsibility. If you're a tutor, the parents are responsible for the overall paperwork. If you're a school, you may have to file some paperwork yourself (attendance). I don't think you're automatically a school if you tutor at your home rather than at someone else's home, especially if you only teach a few kids at a time rather than a whole "class".

Teedee00
User

Postby Teedee00 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:18 pm

I had this same thought and actually made it happen. I've grown so we've moved out into a suite. I not only teach homeschoolers but tutor there after school as well :)

helanmegan1
User

Postby helanmegan1 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:40 am

Theodore wrote:It's just a difference of responsibility. If you're a tutor, the parents are responsible for the overall paperwork. If you're a school, you may have to file some paperwork yourself (attendance). I don't think you're automatically a school if you tutor at your home rather than at someone else's home, especially if you only teach a few kids at a time rather than a whole "class".

i couldnt agree with you more

Return to “Homeschool Law”