secular conservatives??? Am I alone?

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Papillon Mom
User

secular conservatives??? Am I alone?

Postby Papillon Mom » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:26 am

I'm searching for resources for the secular conservative homeschooler. Everything I find that is "secular" turns out to be very liberal/pagan. To me, secular means you don't believe in gods/goddesses/fairieieieieies/majik/etc.. The atheist sites I find are so angry/anti-religion. I'm looking for calm, rational, conservative parenting/homeschooling sources. I love a lot of the conservative Christian sources. They are extremely useful. But, I'd really love to find a great source of like minded people. I've search to no avail. Anyone know of any or have any ideas, or miracle of miracle, feel the same way???
edited---
I should have been more clear. I'm looking for advice/fellowship for a parent/hser with conservative/secular views. Are there others out there? If you are out there, do you know of any groups/forums/websites/etc. ?
Thanks,
Amanda
Last edited by Papillon Mom on Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:11 pm

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

sunnie_skys
User

Postby sunnie_skys » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:53 am

I am with you Amanda. I have been trying to find that as well. Still have not found it but it does not bother me at all. I hear you loud and clear on the Athiest sites...To angry for me.
Sunny

Papillon Mom
User

Postby Papillon Mom » Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:49 pm

Sunnie-- Oh man, its nice to hear from you! What is it that makes us so rare! I have a suspicion that there's a hidden valley somewhere populated with like minded people! Wouldn't it be nice to have Dagney and Howard Rouark as neighbors!!!
I've been searching and I like the Denim Jumper forum but it tends to be liberal. The Well Trained Mind forums are great, helpful, and very active but of course, the official book is Christian based.
What curriculum/method do you use? I plan on a Classical approach.
Too bad you live in MD. it'd be nice to have a buddy with whom I could talk homeschooling, politics, and philosophy. I feel so fragmented with friends.
I'm jealous of churchgoers because they have an official meeting place to go and be with people of similar beliefs... Sometimes its lonely and disheartening. :roll: My poor child, bringing her up to be an outsider. :cry: I just can't see to do it any other way though. What are your thoughts?
Anyways, HELLO from the other side of the Country and take care,
Amanda

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:04 pm

Papillion mom, we use the Story of the World (WTM) and I don't find it overly Christian in its approach. The first book, yes, but that's being revised for a more well rounded presentation. We are in the middle of studying the rise of Islam in the second book, after learning about Buddhism and the rise of Christianity along with major events. It's pretty hard to ignore religions' influence on society. With everything, though, it depends on the interpretation and the surrounding materials used.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."

- M. Montessori

Proud non-member of the HSLDA

sunnie_skys
User

Postby sunnie_skys » Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:10 pm

we use different things. The only thing we use that is christian based is Konos. Having said that however you just can take the bible stuff right out and you still get the teachings without the bible stuff if you wish. I also use Saxon for math, Spelling power, LLATL, visualize world geography, real science for kids, handwriting without tears. I am origionally from WA state but got picked up and thrown to the East Coast. Someone pick me up and throw me back to the West Coast please!!

Oh, and if you want a place for you son and yourself to go for other people who believe like we do then go to a Unitarian Congregation. Thats what we do and would not have it any other way.
Sunny

Decrease
User

Postby Decrease » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:50 am

Just a recommendation from a non secular person.

You may want to form a group yourself. There are several secular conventions in the Homeschooling realm and so there may be plenty of opportunities to start an organization to provide resources you want as well as networking. Since the term "secular conservative" is not well defined, I would first define areas of beliefs. Then I would start networking with some of the secular state conventions and many of their individual homeschool e-mail groups. Finally, I would begin inviting people, some taking on leadership roles in helping get this off the ground.

Sometimes when you see a need you find an avenue to meet that need.

Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:14 am

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”