Labeling items?

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Sandy
User

Labeling items?

Postby Sandy » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:16 pm

I was just wondering if anyone "labeled" items in your home for your pre-readers to "read". My dd is only 3 1/2, but I'm wondering if it would be helpful for her to see the names of things in written form.
Mom of 3 tow-headed girly-girls: L(4), I(2), F(3 months)

mommyto2girls
User

Postby mommyto2girls » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:37 pm

I have considered doing the same thing. I think it is a good idea...helps with realizing that everything has a word to represent it. One of the good things I picked up from my education as an educator! I just have to get down to business and do it. My DD is 3 1/2 also.

ann foster
User

Postby ann foster » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:47 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:04 pm

southmomof2
User

Postby southmomof2 » Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:37 pm

I just wanted to add that we label alot of things in our house, it actually started off as a way for Daddy to help with cleanup since I have unofficial OCD(not really) about tidyness when the day is done, but she (just barely3) has learned the simple regonition of "doll" "house" and "Food"

I thought it was pretty cool myself.

Rayaansmom
User

Postby Rayaansmom » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:11 pm

Using cards to read through context is an excellent way to get kids to place words in their proper context.

If you're just starting, choose 6 easy to recognize objects around the house like the door, bed, lamp, etc. and place cards with these words written on them in caps on the object.
Keep them for a week.
Point out the cards and read the words out aloud to help her identify the objects.
At the end of the week, remove all the cards, write down the names on a sheet of paper, and ask your child to match the cards with the word on the sheet.

You can increase the difficulty of the words as she goes along.

Something like this can also be used to teach kids a new language if they're ready for it, or if you want to introduce them to a new one.

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Sun Feb 10, 2008 4:56 pm

We never did it and my child learned to read just fine, but I don't think it could hurt anything.

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”