Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making math fun w/ educational computer games?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ceili
User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Making math fun w/ educational computer games? Reply with quote

I have an 11 yo son and I would like to get him a computer program that will help him to be able to apply his workbook math in real-life ways. Something like an investment game (someone suggested "Sims: Open for Business", but I know nothing about that).

When he was younger, he played a game called "Pharaoh" and it was very fun (he loved it) and also educational--he set up a community, trade agreements, relationships with other governments, learned how to develop economic growth without growing too fast, etc. It was really good.

So, does anyone know of something like this--fun, but educational. A stock investment game would be interesting. And if anyone is familiar with the Sims game mentioned above, I would appreciate a review from a home school parent perspective.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have to offer!
Ceili
User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops! Sorry for posting this in the wrong forum initially! I didn't scroll down far enough to see the Math forum! Lots of good stuff there! Thanks!
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the same lines as Pharaoh, there is also Caesar, and SimCity or ATrain can be fun too. If that's not exactly what you're looking for, try searching around for the classic "Galactic Trader" sort of game, of which there are many.

I doubt anything The Sims is going to be terribly educational.

EDIT: I forgot SimTower and SimFarm.
Ceili
User

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Theodore! I will check those out!
PositiveMommy
User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Cluefinders 4th Grade Adventures Puzzle of the Pyramid.

The kids have to go on an adventure through Egypt, buying things from stores, studying maps, etc, all using their learning skills. While it goes over other skills, math is included.

My 9 and 10 year olds love it. Even though it's for 4th grade, I feel like it would still be appropriate for older kids, too because it helps practice essential skills (fractions, decimals, multiplication, division, etc).

Anyhow, the kids love going through it and solving the mystery. They play it over and over again. They have already solved the mystery, but still find it fun.
charles
User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some maths programs out there to help make maths more appealing. unfortunately some maths can only be learned the hard way..and sometimes there is no fun way.
You have the tough task of convincing a child that he 'just needs to learn ' some things th boring way. Games are good for some things but if you rely soley on those he'll have too many gaps in his learning.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Math All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: