Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just thought I’d share this...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trace1
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Just thought I’d share this... Reply with quote

My wife and I will be homeschooling our oldest son who will be 7 in May, we’ve been doing extensive research on the legal requirements for the state in which we live. Also we have been reviewing the many different curriculums available and when we first started we were looking at packaged curriculums that were selling for $300 to $400 dollars. After several searches on many sites I have put together a curriculum that is closely tailored to the state education requirements for a cost of around $85.

Although we haven’t officially begun homeschooling my advice to anyone that is thinking about homeschooling is to do your research and shop around for the best curriculum that you feel suits your needs or desires.

Last edited by trace1 on Wed Nov 30, 2005 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:30 am    Post subject: It's a trade-off between time and money... Reply with quote

Time is money, and vice versa. Some people aren't familiar with the available homeschool materials and don't have time to get familiar, and these people will go out and buy a packaged curriculum. On the other hand, it is possible to shop around and put together a curriculum for next to nothing, but that requires an investment of time. Which way you go depends on whether you have spare time or money.

Bottom line, the packaged curriculums wouldn't sell if someone didn't want them Wink However, I do think people should attend a support group meeting or two and get feedback from people using different curriculums and methods before making a choice.
bobbinsx5
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first year we homeschooled we spent nearly $400 on two kids. This year (the first year in three years, long story) we spent about $580 on 5.

Here's the kicker, after buying Social studies and science for four of them,(the youngest is in Kindergarten, so I wasn't too worried about these two subjects for him. I was focusing on Math and reading for him.) I used them for about a month and went to unit studies in those two subjects that I compile myself. I use the internet and the library a lot! We are enjoying learning this way, the kids all say their favorite class is our unit study.

If people can afford the prepackaged, and like them, go for it. For those who can't afford it or don't care for it, there are other ways. I know a lady who is hs four this year, and spent about $200 on all four. It really is a "to each his own" kind of thing.

Bobbie
SOPHIE
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Homeschool curriculum Reply with quote

I think the type of curriculum you choose could be based on the type of personality your child has. If they like a more 'schoolish' setting, but at home, and they want you to teach them directly, a comprehensive prepackaged curriculum (like ABeka) may be the way to go, if they enjoy the challenge of college prep. This curriculum is higher in cost, especially with teacher's editions and curriculum planners, unless you buy used. If they are a more independant student and like to move at their own pace, ACE Pace program may work for them, especially if you have more than one child. They custom fit the Math, English and Word Building(Spelling), Social Studies and Science, so they start right where they perform best (after using testing materials you administer or they can administer for you if you want to enroll them in their private Christian School). This curriculum is also considered accelerated preparation for college, but having a custom fit. ACE can be more affordable (approximately $3 per pace plus readers and score keys) and yet you can still get a quality curriculum.
l5hill
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have already ordered the Alpha Omega Lifepac packaged curriculum for this year, but I am already learning that my daughter likes a very hands on approach to learning. Can someone suggest something for her?
SOPHIE
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Hands on approach Reply with quote

It depends on how much time you have to devote to the curriculum. You could go with a KONOS type of curriculum, which has more hands on type of activities. Or you can just work with the curriculum you're using and watch for hands on activities that may be recommended as an enhancement to what she is currently studying. Or she may just want to pursue more hands on activities outside of her studies, through a hobby, etc. My daughter is a very hands-on type of student and enjoys the crafts and science experiments that are highlighted in her PACE books, plus she enjoys her own activities that can sometimes enhance what she is learning in her curriculum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: