Good Art curriculum?

The arts are sometimes overlooked, but they're a valuable part of culture and history.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:18 am

When I said "the correct way to do a thing," I didn't mean that all flowers are red and all grass is green, or whatever that song says.

I meant that teaching something like a technique for holding a piece of chalk to make the drawing come out a certain way on the material is useful and saves a student time, so they don't have to re-invent the wheel.

That is not to say that they must never experiment for themselves, just that art lessons can be a good thing.

Ramona

knobren
User

Postby knobren » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:58 am

patrick
User

Postby patrick » Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:45 am

nommaj
User

Art Curriculum idea-multiple grade levels

Postby nommaj » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:06 pm

Veritas
User

Creativity Express, Meet the Masters, and More

Postby Veritas » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:57 am

First, I have to echo that Creativity Express is wonderful! :D It hooks kids right away, and they stick with it because it is so much fun. It is packed; it covers art history, chemistry of art, graphic arts... and the kids get to apply their learning for every unit by doing the art. I believe the creators have experience working in Disney animation.

Meet the Masters is also very popular- where students learn about an artist's style and then try their own hand at it. There is an offline kit-type curriculum for homeschoolers. They are supposed to be getting an online version soon.

Bright Ring Art Books are pretty popular -- and a good way to integrate hands-on art across other subject areas.

Draw Write Now is a great way to sneak in some handwriting along with art.

"Draw Today" is a kit that teaches basic drawing and shading with charcoal... it is a pretty easy way to learn and the kit comes with everything needed, including the video instruction.

A couple of books for drawing include "So You Though You Couldn't Draw" and "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain." Also, Prufrock Press puts out a book called Design Studio: Integrating Art & Thinking.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it!
~K-12 accredited, online & offline, personalized to learning styles, interests, goals:
http://www.cmacademy.org
http://www.achieveonline.org

josh_chs
User

Postby josh_chs » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:08 pm

Marv
User

art curriculum

Postby Marv » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:12 am

I'd recommend www.artsology.com as a good art resource for kids - fun, interesting, but they still learn from it too.

Return to “Music / Art”