fundraisers for homeschoolers

Find or post information on the legal aspects of homeschooling in your state.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

vahollingsworth
User

fundraisers for homeschoolers

Postby vahollingsworth » Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:23 pm

Is it legal to do fundraisers through fundraiser companies to help provide funds for home school materials or field trips? We have several fund raiser ideas from our years as youth leaders but do not know if it is appropriate for families to use.

We have four children and this would help the cost of schooling emmensely but do not know if it is okay, or if any paperwork needs filed for taxes and such.

I know it is fine for youthgroups and public schools, but home school???

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:04 pm

I would guess you'd need to set up a nonprofit organization if you want donations to be tax-deductible (and calling random people to be allowed), and the money couldn't all just go to you - it would have to help other families as well. My advice is to check with your regional / state homeschool groups and see if any of them have charities set up, or would be interested in setting one up.

Cathy
User

Fundraisers for Homeschoolers

Postby Cathy » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:14 pm

The Homesteading Realtor in West Central MO

mommyto2girls
User

Postby mommyto2girls » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:15 pm

last year i bought cookie dough from a family who was selling it - i think they were attatched to a school (in the next county, so no competition) somehow, but they got the $ for what they sold...may be call the fundraiser folks you are thinking of using and findout what you could do.

ClassiclyAmber

Postby ClassiclyAmber » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:33 am

Cathy
User

Fundraisers for Homeschoolers

Postby Cathy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:38 pm

The Homesteading Realtor in West Central MO

WWMama
User

Postby WWMama » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:06 pm

Good thread! We have wondered about this very same thing. The fundraising here for PS is ridiculous...so over priced and almost constant. My son is always making up recipes for cakes and cookies and things like that and asked me how he could sell them for school so we could go on some "cool field trips". It was kind of cute...but it got me thinking about homeschooling and fundraising. I will definitely keep my eye on this thread!

Amy
Peace:
It does not meant to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work.
It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Return to “Homeschool Law”