Life Beyond High School Years?

We figure you know what you want to talk about better than we do, so why not give us a hand in picking topics?

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

absand
User

Life Beyond High School Years?

Postby absand » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:50 pm

Is there a thread regarding what resources other homeschool parents have found effective in helping their teenagers think about future career options?

MrBill
User

Postby MrBill » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:42 am

I haven't seen a specific thread, but its really up to what interests the person.

The average American changes careers fifteen times in their lifetime now.
Not just changing jobs, but totally changing what they do altogether.

So first pick what they love most, then what they love second, and then what is obviously something they are already good at but may not necessarily be thrilled with, something that could pay the bills with if need be.

Trying for an internship in the industry they are interested in helps.

For instance I interned in advertising, This lead to working in the industry for a year and a half and realized its disgusting trying to manipulate people to believe what corporations want them to believe. So was happy not to have spent four years in college learning how to be so deceptive.

This lead to working in pre-press, which when it existed, was fixing all the mistakes advertisers make. Lucrative, and I wasn't directly responsible for creating the nonsense, just polishing the turds.

Which eventually lead to video editing, which was more polishing, but with whizbang effects.

Which lead to my dream goal of making video games and being a home-schooling dad. Yay!

There was a lot in between, but it was all a process of discovery based on things I wanted or needed to try first.

Keep that in mind while planning the future.

Sometimes it takes meeting other people majoring in interesting subjects while in college to spark a career path. Community college is most effective for this, else it gets expensive to be finding ones path in larger schools.

Ramona
User

Re: Life Beyond High School Years?

Postby Ramona » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:19 pm

There are lots of great articles from the magazine on this topic, accessible at the very bottom of the forum index.

Ramona

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:48 am

Return to “Suggest a Topic”