Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mom2Princesses
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Newbie questions Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a few questions about homeschooling just for Kindergarten (in Michigan). I hope you all can help me.

If I choose to homeschool Paige for her first year of Kindergarten, where can I get my hands on some sort of curriculum? Is that something, in your experience, you can obtain readily from the local public schools? Also, if I follow that curriculum, does she have to test out or something in order to go to 1st grade? (I don't think I would send her to 1st after homeschooling her for K, I would probably send her to public K...but, I thought I would ask just so I know).

Thanks!
Lily
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you want to do kindergarten twice?

I wouldn't suggest any curriculum, just a lot of enriching activities and following her lead at this age. There's plenty of time for bookwork and formal learning later.

If anything, I would suggest Enki or Oak Meadow for such a tender age.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie questions Reply with quote

Honest to goodness, I base our K "curriculum" around the Little Golden Book We Like Kindergarten by Clara Cassidy.

We say hello and talk about the day. We take care of other people, animals or plants. We play with dough. We play instruments and sing. We paint and draw. We run and exercise. We have snacks and naps. Mommy reads aloud. We dance and display our work. We pretend a lot.

Ramona
Mom2Princesses
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Honest to goodness, I base our K "curriculum" around the Little Golden Book We Like Kindergarten by Clara Cassidy.

We say hello and talk about the day. We take care of other people, animals or plants. We play with dough. We play instruments and sing. We paint and draw. We run and exercise. We have snacks and naps. Mommy reads aloud. We dance and display our work. We pretend a lot.

Ramona

Great, this is what we do now... Smile
WWMama
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, and is a lot like what we do. What in the world else do young kids need to know? I think there are a lot of kids that are in public school that are so bogged down by being able to identify a certain shape or make their letter a certain way or identify a certain town on a map that they miss the stuff they really need to figure out...like taking care of their pet cat. I would say at this point, and what we have chosen to do, is let the kids be kids. There is so much to be learned in everyday life at this point without having to worry about curriculum!

Good luck and have fun!
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with introducing letters and numbers in kindergarten. It's preparation for phonics and basic math instruction in first grade. Shapes? Circle, square, and triangle aren't difficult. Geography? That should definitely wait until a later time.
WWMama
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, I was just referring to the school district here that has kindegarteners "needing" to identify a rhombus, make their letters in a ridiculously perfect way, and other such things I thought were a little strict for a five year old. Didn't mean to imply that numbers, letters, and basic shapes weren't important.
Ophelia
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WWMama wrote:
I agree, I was just referring to the school district here that has kindegarteners "needing" to identify a rhombus, make their letters in a ridiculously perfect way, and other such things I thought were a little strict for a five year old. Didn't mean to imply that numbers, letters, and basic shapes weren't important.

Wow.

I'm doing home-school Kindergarten with my 6 year old son, and unofficially with my 5 year old daughter.

Both can write their first name. Pretty much in all caps. We are working on writing the other letters. Their letters are in no way perfect, but improving every day.

We are learning the alphabet. The five year old knows most of it. The six year old does not. Both can count to 10. We are working on 11-20.

We are working on letter sounds and learning to read using a copy of "Hooked on Phonics Level 1; Learn to Read" from the public library.

A rhombus? At this very moment in time I couldn't identify a rhombus if my life depended on it! I think I'm going to go look that up on the internet now. Embarassed
WWMama
User

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't feel bad...I had to look it up too!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Preschool and Readiness All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: