Newbie questions

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Mom2Princesses
User

Newbie questions

Postby Mom2Princesses » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:48 pm

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:32 pm

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Ramona
User

Re: Newbie questions

Postby Ramona » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:08 am

Honest to goodness, I base our K "curriculum" around the Little Golden Book We Like Kindergarten by Clara Cassidy.

We say hello and talk about the day. We take care of other people, animals or plants. We play with dough. We play instruments and sing. We paint and draw. We run and exercise. We have snacks and naps. Mommy reads aloud. We dance and display our work. We pretend a lot.

Ramona

Mom2Princesses
User

Postby Mom2Princesses » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:31 am

WWMama
User

Postby WWMama » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:09 pm

Sounds good, and is a lot like what we do. What in the world else do young kids need to know? I think there are a lot of kids that are in public school that are so bogged down by being able to identify a certain shape or make their letter a certain way or identify a certain town on a map that they miss the stuff they really need to figure out...like taking care of their pet cat. I would say at this point, and what we have chosen to do, is let the kids be kids. There is so much to be learned in everyday life at this point without having to worry about curriculum!

Good luck and have fun!
Peace:
It does not meant to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work.
It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:20 pm

Nothing wrong with introducing letters and numbers in kindergarten. It's preparation for phonics and basic math instruction in first grade. Shapes? Circle, square, and triangle aren't difficult. Geography? That should definitely wait until a later time.

WWMama
User

Postby WWMama » Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:05 pm

I agree, I was just referring to the school district here that has kindegarteners "needing" to identify a rhombus, make their letters in a ridiculously perfect way, and other such things I thought were a little strict for a five year old. Didn't mean to imply that numbers, letters, and basic shapes weren't important.
Peace:

It does not meant to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work.

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:07 pm

WWMama
User

Postby WWMama » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:14 pm

Peace:

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”