Hello, I am new and need some advice.

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

mom2005
User

Hello, I am new and need some advice.

Postby mom2005 » Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:40 pm

Hi, I just found out about homeschooling a couple of days ago. I don't evenknow where to start, do I have to tell the school first or the district or do I just file that r-4 or affidavit? Please help my son is in special ed. he has learning disabilities he is behind in every subject and feels very bad in school. He says everybody else knows everything and he does'nt. He did'nt feel like this in elementary this is his first year in middle school he is a 6th grader. I have decided to take some action because he does'nt want to go to school anymore he cries at least every one day of the week and he feels so depressed he has very low selfsteem the things he says make me worry more I don't want to see him suffer or worry like this anymore I want him to enjoy life. Please help I would appreciate any advice you can give me. :cry:

Thank you,

Theodore

The legal requirements for homeschooling differ by state...

Postby Theodore » Wed Nov 30, 2005 7:00 am

The legal requirements for homeschooling differ by state, so we'll need to know what state you're in before we can help. Short of that, you can visit the web site(s) for your state homeschool group(s) and see what they have to say:

http://www.home-school.com/groups/

After checking out the legal requirements, you'll need to pick a curriculum and set up a schedule. There are many curriculums out there, both packaged and separate by subject, and the best way to find out which one to go with is to see them in action. Find a homeschool support group in your area (see above), attend a meeting, and ask other homeschool moms what they think about the curriculum they're using and why. Short of that, you can just pick what looks like a decent packaged curriculum:

http://www.home-school.com/mall/curriculum/general.html

Hope this helps some!

mom2005
User

Re: The legal requirements for homeschooling differ by state

Postby mom2005 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:30 pm

Theodore

Here's some legal info for California:

Postby Theodore » Thu Dec 01, 2005 2:18 am

Return to “Getting Started”