My 4year old won't sit still...

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Babydoop
User

My 4year old won't sit still...

Postby Babydoop » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:10 pm

Hello! My daughter turned 4, October 1 this year (only child). I'm on the fence about HSing, and I'm concerned about her being mature enough (to "settle down"), so that she won't be a distraction in the classroom, if I do decide to send her to K.

How much do kids mature as they get closer to 5??

I have completely cut out TV - it has proven to be a distraction on every level. We are practicing sitting still and being quiet - (yeah, right)! I know some of this is just her personality...but you know schools are quick to suggest DRUGS for "overly" active kids...and that is not an option for us!!!

Thanks for your comments!
Jesus is Lord!

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:22 pm

The solution is obviously to tire her out first :) Have her do some sort of physical activity for an hour or two before studying and see if that helps.

Babydoop
User

Postby Babydoop » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:49 pm

You're right! Physical activity does help lots to take the 'jitters' off before hitting the books...but I'm still wondering how much she will change/mature in the next few months and what I can do to help her to get ready, in the event I have turn her over to the "sharks" at a private school (sorry, I would rather hs) - my husband and I are still debating over whether to hs or not!

So if any of you have active 4 or 5+ year olds who went thru this process, in one way or another, pleeeeease let me know how things turned out for you!

Thanks Bunches!
Jesus is Lord!

Kitty-Cat
User

Postby Kitty-Cat » Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:42 pm

Jo from Australia

Ramona
User

Re: My 4year old won't sit still...

Postby Ramona » Sat Oct 13, 2007 2:40 pm

Babydoop
User

Postby Babydoop » Sat Oct 13, 2007 5:05 pm

Jesus is Lord!

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:05 pm

Some kids do better jumping while learning or running. One of the perks of home schooling is that you don't have to make her sit still at all.

A good private school can be great for some though.

Don't put her in 5K though if she can't sit still. Keep her in 4K or all you will hear about is ADHD and drugs.

Mathmom
User

Postby Mathmom » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:03 pm

I disagree with StellarStory, about the private school. I think you will give someone else your parental authority. Homeschool is much more cost-efficient,too.
Last I heard, my extremely energetic 11 yr. old nephew did not pass 4th grade at private Christian school. I think he wants to be homeschooled, however, his parents are almost 60 yrs. old and kind of bent on just sending him to public school. So, my point is, it did not help my nephew to go to private school, as far as containing and/or using his energy to his benefit.
It's great to have young children be able to run and play and learn. Let your child grow and learn at home, with you.

gregos
User

Re: My 4year old won't sit still...

Postby gregos » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:15 pm

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”