Pre Reading activities that support the child in beginning t

Preschool readiness skills (birth to age 5) and the common developmental concerns of young children.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

ann foster
User

Pre Reading activities that support the child in beginning t

Postby ann foster » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:10 pm

Hi Everyone,
I am a learning support teacher who is very interested in early childhood education. As you can well imagine, I deal every day with children who can not read. I am a firm believer in the research findings that children have difficulty reading because they are not exposed to phonological awareness experiences before beginning the more formal reading activities. Phonological Awareness is all about sounds; segmenting,blending,deleting and changing the the order of sound sequences. Following this is the knowledge that that spoken words are made up of individual sounds that are placed together to make a word. listening to sounds,rhyme,syllabification,word awareness and sentence awareness are all part of Phonological Awareness.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:26 pm

In other words, read and talk to your kids.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:59 am

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

ann foster
User

Postby ann foster » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:17 pm

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:43 pm

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."

- M. Montessori

Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Return to “Preschool and Readiness”