Homeschooling my 9 year old ADHD son

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

westmom3
User

Homeschooling my 9 year old ADHD son

Postby westmom3 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:20 am

Hi anyone out there with an adhd son or others with developmentally challenged homeschoolers, I am having difficulties getting my son interested in any type of learning, escpecially reading. He's a really good speller and can make out words and can even read text slowly but he hates the mention of reading. Our family includes books in anything we do as an activity to learn and we have a huge library that we lie around for Jordan to pick up when and if he wants to initiate his reading. But to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to encourage him further? :?
westmom[/b]
I love to homeschool my 9 year old son. He's such a joy!

riccalo
User

Re: Homeschooling my 9 year old ADHD son

Postby riccalo » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:27 pm

tsmama24
User

Re: Homeschooling My 9 year old ADHD son

Postby tsmama24 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:19 pm

Do you think interactive reading would interest him at all. There are a good many websites (and software) with stories and reading that are quite interactive. Things to click and discover, behind the scenes info that pops up as you read, even voices that read the lines for each different character. Another fun way to get interactive with reading is by doing unit study style reading. Five in a Row has a program for older kids (Beyond Five in a Row??) that gets kids really involved in the books they read by providing activities ideas to go along with them. Time4Learning is the curriculum we use, and it has a lot of online computer interaction with the reading lessons, which my son with dyslexia finds pretty fun. Another obvious tip, but a good one, is to get books about subjects your son is really into right now. Dinosaur books were a godsend for our reluctant reader! Good luck with your son...
Kerry

Elei
User

Postby Elei » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:59 am

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”