Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to Raleigh, NC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mel9k
User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Moving to Raleigh, NC Reply with quote

Hello Fellow Homeschoolers!

We have lived in San Diego for the past 15+ years and are moving to Raleigh, NC in June. We have 2 boys, ages 4 and almost 6. We have been homeschooling from the beginning (just finishing kindergarten), and I was wondering what options there are in Raleigh. We have been enrolled in a charter school here where we get free curriculum, a teacher assigned to us, and classes that our son can attend- does anyone know of any such ISP's in the Raleigh area? I'm also open to homeschooling independently, and any support groups out there...I have tried doing research online, but have not been very successful. Sad Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much!
Theodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Moving to Raleigh, NC Reply with quote

The state group North Carolinians for Home Education is based in Raleigh, have you tried contacting them yet to see what they offer in the way of activities and classes and so on?

http://www.home-school.com/groups/NC.html
mel9k
User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Thanks... Reply with quote

Thank you Theodore- I'll check it out.
Armywife75
User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in fayetteville NC Very Happy
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving to Raleigh, NC Reply with quote

mel9k wrote:
Hello Fellow Homeschoolers!

We have lived in San Diego for the past 15+ years and are moving to Raleigh, NC in June. We have 2 boys, ages 4 and almost 6. We have been homeschooling from the beginning (just finishing kindergarten), and I was wondering what options there are in Raleigh. We have been enrolled in a charter school here where we get free curriculum, a teacher assigned to us, and classes that our son can attend- does anyone know of any such ISP's in the Raleigh area? I'm also open to homeschooling independently, and any support groups out there...I have tried doing research online, but have not been very successful. Sad Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you so much!

You should know that no other states have such things as ISPs (for you non-Californians, that is "Independent Study Program," govt-school programs operated through a local public school or a county Office of Education. Hsers also use that term for private schools which enroll hsers, like an umbrella school.). So the answer to your question would be no, you'll be responsible for your own educational needs when you move to NC.

NC has a decent law, but my strong recommendation is to join HSLDA, as the Department of Non Public Education has really been messing with hsers, and I foresee a very big legal battle in the future. The only requirement is to notify DPNE that you'll be hsing, and give your school-age dc standardized tests each year, which you only have to show if someone actually, personally, contacts you. (You're supposed to keep immunization and attendance records, but no one is allowed to see those.)
Miyu
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Moving to Raleigh, NC Reply with quote

elliemaejune wrote:

You should know that no other states have such things as ISPs (for you non-Californians, that is "Independent Study Program," govt-school programs operated through a local public school or a county Office of Education....)

Utah does...I looked into one. And I know other states have public charter schools for homeschooling. I don't know about NC, though...
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Moving to Raleigh, NC Reply with quote

Miyu wrote:
elliemaejune wrote:

You should know that no other states have such things as ISPs (for you non-Californians, that is "Independent Study Program," govt-school programs operated through a local public school or a county Office of Education....)

Utah does...I looked into one. And I know other states have public charter schools for homeschooling. I don't know about NC, though...

There are many other states which have charter schools; it is just that they don't usually refer to them as "Independent Study Programs." California public schools have been operating ISPs since the '80s, long before the advent of charter schools. Most of the ISPs were for delinquent public school students; some were for all students in the county, or in an individual district. Calif public schools still set up independent study for students who are sick or on extended family vacations.

In the early 80s one of the districts in Northern California set up an ISP strictly for homeschoolers. In 1985, San Diego county started one which grew to enormous size; its founder moved to Orange County a couple of years later and began a similar program there. For several years some of them offered stipends of up to $1000 per child, but for the most part, the ISPs have dwindled in number as the charter schools have grown because of Dept. of Ed rules about the whole stipend thing.

The ISP thing is big business in California. In addition to the govt-sponsored ISPs, there are many campus-based private schools which have similar programs and a huge number of private schools which only enroll hsers. Calif hsers refer to them all as "ISPs," although technically, the private ones are, well, private schools, not ISPs.
Miyu
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up in CA

Anyhow...Utah uses the abbreviation ISP.. I think it means "Individual Study Plan" here...it's a different thing.

But, as far as I can tell...the district run homeschool programs here are similar to the ones in CA, even if they go by a different name. I thought you were saying that other states didn't have government/district run homeschool programs.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miyu wrote:
I grew up in CA

Anyhow...Utah uses the abbreviation ISP.. I think it means "Individual Study Plan" here...it's a different thing.

But, as far as I can tell...the district run homeschool programs here are similar to the ones in CA, even if they go by a different name. I thought you were saying that other states didn't have government/district run homeschool programs.

Well, there you go. LSNED (learn something new every day)

What I meant to say is that most states don't have the same ISP setup that California does. Many states now have charter schools for hsers, but those are different than Calif's ISPs.

Did I save myself? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Getting Started All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: