Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Small, compact curriculum for travel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nancy sv
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Small, compact curriculum for travel? Reply with quote

Hi everyone! I'm hoping I've got the right place to post this question... I just posted a bit about me in the guestbook forum (http://www.home-school.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3452), but thought I would poke my head in here to ask a few questions.

I don't know how many of you do a lot of traveling, or if you are mostly just living in other countries, but I am hoping you'll have some suggestions. I will be taking off soon to ride my bike from Alaska to ARgentina with my kids and will be homeschooling along the way. Since we need to carry everything with us on the bikes, we obviously need to go as light as possible. I don't want to carry a ton of school books. Any suggestions for what kinds of things we might want to look at? Both me and my husband are teachers, so we are OK on the educational side of things - it's just that we've generally used big, bulky materials!!

Thanks for your help!
Nancy[/url]
riccalo
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Small, compact curriculum for travel? Reply with quote

nancy sv wrote:
Hi everyone! I'm hoping I've got the right place to post this question... I just posted a bit about me in the guestbook forum (http://www.home-school.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3452), but thought I would poke my head in here to ask a few questions.

I don't know how many of you do a lot of traveling, or if you are mostly just living in other countries, but I am hoping you'll have some suggestions. I will be taking off soon to ride my bike from Alaska to ARgentina with my kids and will be homeschooling along the way. Since we need to carry everything with us on the bikes, we obviously need to go as light as possible. I don't want to carry a ton of school books. Any suggestions for what kinds of things we might want to look at? Both me and my husband are teachers, so we are OK on the educational side of things - it's just that we've generally used big, bulky materials!!

Thanks for your help!
Nancy[/url]

Perhaps each of your children could carry a Comprehensive Curriculum of Basic Skills Workbook with them. That could help to keep them caught up with Reading/Reading Comprehension, English/Language Arts, Mathematics, and Writing. For Science and Social Studies you could have them visit museums and national parks for each state/region (look up the locations beforehand) they are going to be visiting. Have them write papers on animals and plants that are specific to the particular state/region they are going to be visiting. Have them write papers on important figures from the particular state/region they are going to be visiting. Have them participate in local events/celebrations (look up information beforehand) from each state/region they are visiting. Have them write comparative papers on how each state/region is run and how it is different from their home state.

You could visit this site for information on Alaska's State Parks. http://www.alaska.com/places/parks/state_parks/story/4481514p-4460475c.html

Wikipedia has a list of links to a number of Argentina's National Parks. Each page has information on the particular Park (location of park, animals known to dwell there, climate, pictures, etc.).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_national_parks_of_Argentina

Sorry I don't have much advice, my family and I have never traveled away from our home for more than a week at a time. I'm sure that others from this forum will be able to help you much more than I could. Good luck to you are your family. I hope you all have a wonderful trip. Smile

-Erica
nancy sv
User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Erica! We used the state/national parks a LOT on our last trip - they are WONDERFUL!!! My kids learned so much from them! The good thing about our upcoming trip is that we will be volunteering with Reach the World - a nonprofit organization designed to bring the world to kids in inner city schools. We will be link with the classrooms via the internet. As part of hte project, we will need to be posting educational information from whereever we are - which will force us to seek out educational opportunities all the time. I think that will be a great way for my own kids to learn!!

We feel pretty comfortable aobut taking advantage of the opportunities we find, but are wondering about 'formalizing' the education experience this time. We didn't do that last time,a nd may very well end up not doing it next time - but I at least want to explore options!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschooling Overseas / Military Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: