Math U See

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

Dragonfly
User

Math U See

Postby Dragonfly » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:37 pm

Has anyone here used Math U See for their math curriculum? I am thinking of purchasing it next year to use with my Gr 4 DD. I would love to here reviews of this curriculum.

Bws
Jane

birdy
User

we like it...

Postby birdy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:20 pm

Hi,

My kids and I are really enjoying this program. but they are 4 and 6. The eldest (son) is going into Grade 2, but I started him in Alpha to get him into the "lingo"

So you would have to talk to a rep to make sure you get the right materials. They also have on-line printable testing sheets to help you place your child.

Anyways, I am having to pull the kids away from their texts. Currently we are averaging 3 - 4 lessons a week. I expect this to dramatically slow down, but attribute it to the fact that they are already basically aware of counting, etc, just needing to learn the manipulatives, etc.

Roberta

Dragonfly
User

Postby Dragonfly » Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:41 am

Thanks Roberta and good luck with your ventures into homeschooling - you won't regret it!

I've been getting some fabulous reviews about math-u-see from the Canadian support sites I go to....I haven't heard anyone say they don't like it yet! I think we will definitely be getting Gamma in the Fall....and perhaps the first ones too for my younger children....

Thanks so much for replying! Where in Canada are you? I'm in Alberta.

wvrobin
User

HAPPY TO HEAR IT!!!

Postby wvrobin » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:05 pm

homeschooledguy
User

Math-U-See alumni

Postby homeschooledguy » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:27 am

" Too often we give children answers to remember rather than problems to solve. "
-- Roger Lewin

Samual Rutherford
User

Math U See- sold it on Ebay

Postby Samual Rutherford » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:21 am

We used Math U See for a few weeks and were very dissatisfied with it.

It didn't provide a smooth transition between math concepts and made a lot of assumptions about numbers.

For example;

The numbers 0 through 9 are easy to understand for children.

However, when the program teaches you the numbers 10 to 100 Math U See didn't make it clear enough to us and our children (5 years old) how to understand it. There were A LOT of other problems too.

Face it- math is BORING and difficult. Most of these math programs are written by some former math teacher (God save us from them!) on a word processor at home. The books that come with them are often very unattractive, dull looking and have no "eye-appeal" that would make learning a difficult subject more pleasant.

There is only a correct answer and we can't "sort of fake it" by giving a "close enough" answer.

We sold our Math U See on Ebay for more than we paid for it.

We're now using Right Start Math....

Regards,

Samual

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Jun 15, 2006 7:51 pm

I really like miquon math, for those children that like math and move along quickly. And we use Developmental Math, for my son who has difficulty with math concepts.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Return to “Math”