Should I test for a learning disability?

Are you homeschool a special needs child? Are you personally physically challenged? Here is the place to share your questions, tips, and experiences.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

momof3angels
User

Should I test for a learning disability?

Postby momof3angels » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:34 pm

Mathmom
User

Postby Mathmom » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:02 pm

Momof3angels,
Depending on where you live, you may not have to give her any tests. Since you know the teachers were not helping her learn, that tells me that maybe you need to assume that was the problem and avoid labeling her with a learning disability. She's sounds pretty normal to me.
I recommend you find your local support group, find the laws for your state(look at the top of this page, click on home, look for info for your state).
Hope this helps.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:52 pm

For some children it helps to know that have a problem and they are not just "slow". I emphasize the fact that my boys were all created differently and everyone is good at different things. My oldest is 2-3 grades behind and receives spec ed at the PS three days a week. My second is about 1 grade ahead. They are both special and I make sure they know it. It may not hurt to find out her learning style and where her weaknesses and strengths are. I found out that my son knows a lot more than I thought he did, he just can't express what he knows. What a relief for me. It's all in there I just have to figure out ho to get it out.

IMHO it help to know what you are up against to make sure you are fighting the right battles.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

bittersweet
User

Postby bittersweet » Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:07 pm

I recently figured out on my own (with the help of other moms and a therapist friend) that my DS has sensory processing problems. We have decided not to persue a diagnosis at this time because we feel that this is somethign we can handle on our own.
He has always been a frustrating child. Knowing what is going on in his head has helped me tremendously in dealing with him in daily tasks, providing him with therapeutic activities and teaching him. I no longer feel at a loss as to what to do with him, and I no longer question my fitness as a mother.
If you feel that you need to know more about what is holding your dd back, by all means use whatever resources you have available to find out. Educate yourself so that you be more effective. If you decide you need a diagnosis, get one.
If otoh you feel that she is getting it, or that the problem is with the curriculum and not the child, or there is little to be gained, then forego the diagnosis. A label can be hard for a child to bear, and should only be given if it is truly deserved and needed.

Mathmom
User

Postby Mathmom » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:48 pm

I have heard that sometimes a child's poor eyesight can cause learning problems. Does anyone know if that is included in the evaluations ?

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:03 am

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Tova
User

Should I test for a learning disability

Postby Tova » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:11 pm

Tova
User

Should I test for a learning disability

Postby Tova » Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:32 pm

elliemaejune
User

Re: Should I test for a learning disability?

Postby elliemaejune » Wed Dec 26, 2007 9:30 pm

Return to “Special Needs Homeschooling”