Are you self-sufficient?

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Sandy
User

Are you self-sufficient?

Postby Sandy » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:01 am

danamarie
User

Postby danamarie » Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:51 am

angw8
User

Postby angw8 » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:57 pm

I recommend you get hold of A Journey Home ,which is dvd showing how the Wallers did it.It is inspiring and wholesome.
Ang

Higher than the highest human thought can reach is God's ideal for His children. ...

bittersweet
User

Postby bittersweet » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:35 pm

We haven't done it yet, but I just want to say that we have the same dream. a few cows, a handful of chickens, some sheep for wool, fruit trees and a garden big enough to feed us all yr round. We just moved to a little country house this spring. I've never had a garden before, but I am learning-mostly that it's a lot of work! I'm about to start my winter seedlings-just as soon as I get over this cold. I'm hoping that each season we get a better harvest and maybe we'll get the chickens next yr. We bought highly inefficient house and we dream of switching everything over, but the goal right now is to get out of debt. Keep us posted on your journey. I'd be delighted to learn with you.

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:09 pm

knobren
User

Postby knobren » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:48 pm

knobren
User

Postby knobren » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:51 pm

Sandy
User

Postby Sandy » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:32 pm

Wow! I'm not the only one! How exciting! I've quit buying bread. My 3 year old and I make our own, and we're working on getting less and less white flour and sugar. I bought the book "Whole Foods for the Whole Family." It's got a bunch of good ideas. We also plowed a bigger area for a garden. Hopefully much will come from it. I've just found out we're adding baby number 3 to our family next July, so, I'm a little nervous that I won't be up to doing a whole lot out there.
In the past month, my Dad passed away from cancer. I can't believe eating all of the processed junk we buy in the store is not harming us. Around here all of the farmer's spray the fields with anhydrous ammonia. It's a poison, yet we fertilize with it. With my Dad's illness, it's at the forefront of my mind. Did he get sick because of what he ate? I'm so anxious to start taking back my family's health.
Good luck to you all!
Mom of 3 tow-headed girly-girls: L(4), I(2), F(3 months)

WWMama
User

Postby WWMama » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:04 pm

You mean there are other people like me? WOW! In our extended family, I am known as the gal who is just a little "off". :roll:

Our dream is to continue living self sufficiently. It seems like everyday we learn more and more. We make almost everything from scratch, grow as much as we can, buy local if we don't have luck growing it ourselves, eat mostly wild game that my husband has hunted during the year, drink milk "straight from the bulk tank". We don't "shop for something to do". Once you get into the "lifestyle" its fun to see how it spills into every single part of your life. I am a firm believer that we truly will be provided all that we need...its just accepting that what we have right now is really all that we need.

Its fun to see other people with this passion!
Peace:
It does not meant to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work.
It means to be in the midst of those things and still be calm in your heart.

Papillon Mom
User

Postby Papillon Mom » Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:23 pm

Ramona
User

Postby Ramona » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:41 pm

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”