Defending yourself is tiring??

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:55 pm

8)

bittersweet
User

Postby bittersweet » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:41 am

I feel comfortable admitting that yes, I am indeed supermom. 8)

ClassiclyAmber

Postby ClassiclyAmber » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:24 am

Emerging Dad
User

Postby Emerging Dad » Fri May 09, 2008 7:12 pm

I worked briefly as a custodian in one of the "best" public schools in that part of the state, and I only need point to the failures I saw there to defend my decision to homeschool — teachers who skipped at least one class period a week to watch movies as "rewards," papers with more grammatical errors than I cared to count posted on bulliten boards as examples of good work, more silly busy-work projects — thrown on the floors for me to pick up, no less — than were necessary or condusive to education, etc.

When my wife and I made our decision to homeschool known (our son is young yet, but the idea is to teach him what he is ready to learn when he is ready to learn), my mother-in-law made a few comments about how we would give that up pretty quickly. We have a couple of allies in my wife's young aunt and uncle, who are also homeschooling their children, and my parents are supportive enough about it.

Everyone else just wrote it off as "another one of those weird things they do."
I'm a nice enough guy, and if I say something hurtful I probably didn't mean it that way.

Semper Reformanda!

Morgan
User

Postby Morgan » Sat May 10, 2008 10:01 am

"What we want to see is the child in pursuit of knowledge, not knowledge in pursuit of the child."
- George Bernard Shaw

Ceres
User

Postby Ceres » Mon May 12, 2008 7:13 am

"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." - Henry Adams

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Mon May 12, 2008 9:41 am

Dawn

Mother of Fionn (5-7-01), Bailey (9-12-02) and Owen (8-7-07)

oneofthegirls
User

so tired too...

Postby oneofthegirls » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:12 am

I am so tired of defending my decision to hs my twin girls. They are 12, and this year we are getting out more with co op and connecting with other hs families. They have youth group and other clubs to socialize.
Still- we get the 'social' issue argument, even from my own son!
I am so tired of beating myself up over our decision- why do I let what others say affect my peace of mind and well being?? Why can't I smile, and blow off any negative comments or opinions of others who don't even have school age children yet?? It's kind of ridiculous, now, when I think about it.
I have second guessed myself- my abilities as a hs parent, and our curriculum, I don't need other people on the outside adding to my heap of doubt. Anyways- I am tired..lol
“When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer.â€

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”