Pros and cons of Ritalin

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

batwing
User

Pros and cons of Ritalin

Postby batwing » Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:43 am

My grdaughter,age 9 has been diagnosed as ADHD and possibly mildy bipolar. She was recently put on Ritalin. I've read so much about the good but also the dangers of Ritalin.
Have any of you had personal experiences with R?? Do you think it can lead to later drug addiction? Did your kids improve or get worse? Any info or input you have will be greatly appreciated. THANKS!!
The eternal God is thy refuge,and underneath are the everlasting arms.

MNKristy
User

Postby MNKristy » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:09 pm

I know there is a lot of controversy on Ritalin. My son is on Adderal (a similar drug for ADHD). I find that it makes a huge difference with him taking it. Without Adderal, he can not focus. He is distracted, hyperactive, goofy, off-target, etc. He has no self-control without medication. It is just very hard for him to focus on structured tasks, such as schoolwork, without medication. So to answer your question, I do see a big difference when he is on the medication. I have not read any studies that prove a tendency for later drug-addiction. I think it is always worth a try. See if it makes a difference for your GD. If the benefits do not outweigh the side-effects/risks, then take her off of it.
Kristy

Retired homeschooling mom/teacher to three wonderful kids

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:43 am

I don't have any kids on any drug myself but as a community leader and mom I've observed kids who are, know kids and moms that have dealt with them and so on.

Some kids probably need the chemical help. I don't believe it leads to addiction.

That being said, I'm generally against medicating people and kids unless there are no other alternatives. We live in a society that pushes drugs as the magic key to everything. I know entire families on the same drug.

I know entire classes that have had the teacher tell every single parent their child was ADHD and needed to be medicated.

That's crap.

I also know some parents that think it is essential for their kids.

Several parents I know could not stand the roller coaster of emotion and energy levels it put their kids on.

I also know kids and parents that seem to use ADHD as an excuse for everything. Often these kids do NOT seem to be benefiting from the medication. It's difficult to imagine them behavior in a more disruptive or dangerous manner.

Rarely, in fact, never, have I heard of a parent actually giving their kids the yearly reevaluation that is called for when using these drugs.

I'm sure it works great for some.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:30 am

Very well put Stellar, just one thing to add. Make sure that the child understands that they are ok, with or without the drug. Some people, and schools will not let the children in the class unless they have had there meds. This makes the child feel like they are no good unless on the meds and this doesn't help them at all.

If you feel that your child need them, then don't let others make you feel guilty about it. Those of us that don't like medication can get a little strong in our opinions sometimes. I am certainly one of them.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:11 am

I second that. Don't drug your kids unless there's no other alternative. The problem with prescribing drugs for bipolar is that while the drugs can theoretically help when applied on the right phase (manic or depressive), they can make things worse if applied on the wrong phase, causing psychosis / suicide. There are also a host of side effects, including depressed immune system. Better to make do with proper diet, exercise (tires you out and supplies natural dopamine) and skip the drugs, certainly for only a mild case of bipolar.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:51 am

Mark

Re: Pros and cons of Ritalin

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:46 am

isamama
User

Postby isamama » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:00 am

I not only use all the brains I have, but all I can borrow. - Woodrow Wilson.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:18 am

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:07 pm

Ceres
User

Postby Ceres » Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:18 am

The links don't work for me . . . is it just me or do they not work for anyone else?
"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." - Henry Adams

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle

4given
User

Postby 4given » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:35 am

I couldn't access them, either.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:47 am

The site doesn't handle URLs with periods on the end real well. I fixed them, they should work now.

Ceres
User

Postby Ceres » Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:17 am

"A teacher affects eternity; he can never tell where his influence stops." - Henry Adams

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle

Mathmom
User

Latest news from researchers says drugs DO NOT work for ADHD

Postby Mathmom » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:25 am

I get a newsletter from a local doctor. This article was included in the latest one. It includes references and is very up-to-date which helps when you are doing research.
Here's the url to the article:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/artic ... -adhd.aspx

You might have to cut and paste it to get to it.

The title of the article is "Drugs Are Not the Answer for ADHD".

If you read the whole article, you will see that they recommend fish oil as a treatment. Yes, food can be a treatment, and there is hope.

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”