Wow! Another reason I'm relieved I homeschool!

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

treshay
User

Wow! Another reason I'm relieved I homeschool!

Postby treshay » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:14 pm

Teresa, mother to Mackenzie (8 ), Breanna (4) and Emmalee (5months)

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:34 am

Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

treshay
User

Postby treshay » Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:57 am

4given
User

Postby 4given » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:17 am

treshay
User

Postby treshay » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:20 am

hmschooling
User

Postby hmschooling » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:26 pm

I read through all 3 pages of his post. I did get the feeling it was bait, but then after reading it all, I feel like it likely wasn't.

So, I contacted the site admin about it and asked if there was anything they could do including contacting someone at the school where he works to protect the young girls that could be put into a bad situation with him. He sounds creepy and like he will act eventually with all the justification he's doing.... he is only 23 and at that age, it will be SO tempting for him to act since the fact is that the girls aren't much younger. Not to mention he says in a year, they'll all be adults anyway. Creepy guy.

treshay
User

Postby treshay » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:31 pm

ClassiclyAmber

Postby ClassiclyAmber » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:18 am

I think it's a kid, too. I mean - come on! What full grown adult and teacher uses words and sentences like that?

Still...whatever it is...they're scary.

MrBill
User

Postby MrBill » Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:11 am

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:51 am

Well yes, but that doesn't help you if the dots represent questions on spelling, grammar, punctuation, reading comprehension, etc. The problem isn't testing per se, it's the difficulty of the tests and the standards you're required to meet to pass. If all tests are pathetically easy and you only need 60% or better to pass (or worse yet, you're not even tested / graded at all...) then there's no benefit to working hard.

Basically, the problem is an emphasis on passing x% of kids, rather than an emphasis on actually getting kids to learn the material. If the entire class is pathetic, and scoring is on the grade curve (which I personally hate with a passion), then many kids will pass just because other kids are even worse. I say fail the whole class if necessary.

Ophelia
User

Postby Ophelia » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:51 pm

Jazzy
User

Postby Jazzy » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:28 pm

april.fla
User

Postby april.fla » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:39 am

That was really disturbing. I'm very new to HS and am schooling my 8-year-old son mostly because he was behind and is VERY smart, but he's ADHD and isn't able to creatively learn in school, which is how he learns best. I have a very bright 4-year-old daughter and just last night my DH and I were discussing how much (since we were in school) teachers having relationships or crushes on their students have grown (possibly because of all the news coverage it gets now). We are considering HS my 8-year-old son longer to see how he changes and how he grows with it and my DD too. That was so disturbing.....it makes you think about your daughter being in that situation and how you would feel to see someone that is ENTRUSTED with THEIR education to be ruining their school experience by violating them that way....sick, sick, sick!!!!

PositiveMommy
User

Postby PositiveMommy » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:30 pm

"We can be one people, reaching for what's possible, building that more perfect union" - Barack Obama

dogtrainer
User

s

Postby dogtrainer » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:37 am

I am concerned too; however, put yourself in the male teacher's shoes. He may be teaching in a district where there are no uniform codes, which means the girls can wear whatever they want. The clothes the girls wear nowadays can do alot to a man (skirts too short, pants/shirts too tight). In our school district and others around us, the kids have to wear uniforms, which at first I disagreed with, but it helps to create a since of decorum and keeps everything covered.

I took my daughter and a couple of her friends to the skating rink on a Friday night and watched some of these "girls". They would come into the rink with one outfit on and no makeup, head straight to the bathroom and come out looking like little prostitutes. Then about 15 minutes before the parents would show up, back to the bathroom they would go and come out looking like they did when they were dropped off.

My daughter and I have different opinions on clothing - it's the battle I will die in, but I am trying to teach her that if she wants a boy to notice her for her (not her body or what he "wants" from her), then she needs to dress respectably. No I don't mean neckline up to her ears or skirts to her ankles, but to think of how others will perceive her (walks like a duck, quacks like a duck - it is a duck situation).

I know that he needs to be reported, don't take me wrong, but seeing how these teenage girls act/dress - I am not surprised
Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. Proverbs 31:28

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”