Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Truant child...can they be homeschooled?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law
View previous topic :: View next topic  
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramona, I do the same thing. As a one income family I can't afford any organization. I send a letter, and then if they aren't too busy I get one back. That's all I do. Some states are more strict, but where I am in MA isn't. The schools I deal with are great. As long as you know the law, you should be fine. No need to pay money for someone else to do it.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
elliemaejune
User

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxie Lady wrote:
I didn't know that you could homeschool without going through some sort of agency. I am not talking about these $200-500 year places. I joined a local Association for $35/yr for the family and I don't have to deal with the school or the district. Once I enrolled I sent them student and school info and they sent the school a fax that my child would be withdrawing and attending private schooling at "Lee Academy"-my school name that I chose.

I do not have to answer any questions about anything and they said that if anyone called wanting to know about anything, even the books that I use that they are not legally allowed to and for me to have them call them.

Now, this could just be for my particular state (SC).

Yes, this is true for your particular state, which has a specific home school statute that allows you do to what you have. Most states do not have anything like this.

Illinois does have quite a good homeschool law. What muddies the water is the pre-existing truancy problems with the school (as stupid as they are).

This is HSLDA's legal analysis of Illinois law:
www.hslda.org/laws/analysis/illinois.pdf.
#3 and 4 seem to be applicable to this particular situation.

I'm thinking that you should go ahead and apply for HSLDA membership and see what happens.
Mathmom
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Compulsory age for school Reply with quote

Dear Jansmom,
You were correct about the age requirement. So, unless your child is 7 years old now, they don't have any case at all with you. Don't let them intimidate you.
Check out the laws at www.hslda.org for Illlinois.

Also, note: You will read in the laws that you do NOT need to keep attendance. Home schools are considered private schools, in IL, and it says right there they are not required to keep attendance.

I grew up in Ogle County, and I still live and homeschool in Northern IL.
So, I see how the schools are in need of their money they get for each child attending school. They don't want to lose the $$$$$$.

I hope you will read and follow the laws, and not worry about what you hear so much.
You sound like you will do well with homeschool. Hope your troubles are over soon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Law All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: