Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad Day!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treshay
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Bad Day! Reply with quote

Ohh, today I'm just having a bad day and need somewhere to vent. I'm realizing that we're all bored out of our minds with the Story of The World History that we do. It seemed fun at first and they have some good ideas for projects to get kids involved but so far the projects haven't worked out for the best and I don't have time to try them out before I do them with the kids so when they flop, they flop with all of us and not just me. So I think my next option is to try focusing on history for each kid at their own level and try to go according to what they should be learning in school. I have some brainstorming to do on that one but I think for now I've just made a decision to put the Story of the World book away - at least for this year.

One of the reasons I'm having a bad day today is because I think I'm getting burned out. My husband is gone all the time (truck driver) and I'm with the kids all the time. I don't usually mind but today I feel like the weight of the world is on my shoulders. The last few weeks seem like they have been somewhat unorganized for us and our schooling and trying to get back on track just seems so hard. I feel like we're just "playing" school and for that I feel really guilty. Like, if someone were visiting and seeing what we do for our day of school, I would be embarrassed and feel like they probably think we don't do enough.

For the most part my oldest ( 8 years old) is working independently unless she has questions. We read library books together and do Science as a group - we were doing History but that always ends in me being upset because they aren't paying attention...can't blame them though they're bored. But then Mackenzie gets out her Language Arts and her Math and does her own thing for as long as she feels like it really which is usually 1/2hour to 1 hour. And that's it. It totals out to about 2-3 hours a day and I just don't feel liek that is enough.

My younger daughter is 4 and she follows along with us through History and Science and then we work together on Language Arts and Math. I don't worry so much about her because I see how ahead she is compared to other kids her age.

Anyways, I just feel discouraged and sort of like they would be better off back in public schools.....I cringe to think it! Please just tell me this is something we all go through!!!!
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For an 8yo you are doing enough. SOTW world may be too ambitious for the 4yo. If your oldest likes it let her do it and don't expect the little one.

Everyone goes through this, usually on a pretty regular basis, that is why we need to be interacting with other homeschool parents so that we know we are not alone! It's like when you see a child having a tantrum and you think "good, I'm glad mine isn't the only one!"

THe next time you feel like you are having "one of those days" take the day off. If you can afford it, take a field trip, spend time at the library, spend the day reading books, or doing art projects. That is your prerogative! You are a homeschool mom, you can be flexible. You have to be in order for it to work. don't worry so much about what they can and cannot do, just make sure they have a love of learning and they will figure it out in time.
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad day: The two middle girls started throwing up yesterday afternoon, the two oldest ones late yesterday evening, and the new baby in the middle of the night. I had had an appointment with another mom to bring her 3-y-o DS to play with my 2-y-o who is having a hard adjustment to no longer being the baby. She decided not to come even though it's not my son who's sick. Story hour at the public library was cancelled today because of Veterans Day. So I spent my morning freaking out because the girls were recontaminating each other and the boys (not to mention their parents!) So we have to skip school entirely today, which means I'll end up doing one more hot day next July, because of state laws and our family calendar. Sigh.

Oh, I had one idea: maybe I'll count today as a school day after all. Surely listening to my constant lectures on preventive hand-washing was educational for all, right?

Ramona
momo3boys
User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about perspective...... Wink
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
Ceres
User

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramona wrote:
My bad day: The two middle girls started throwing up yesterday afternoon, the two oldest ones late yesterday evening, and the new baby in the middle of the night. I had had an appointment with another mom to bring her 3-y-o DS to play with my 2-y-o who is having a hard adjustment to no longer being the baby. She decided not to come even though it's not my son who's sick. Story hour at the public library was cancelled today because of Veterans Day. So I spent my morning freaking out because the girls were recontaminating each other and the boys (not to mention their parents!) So we have to skip school entirely today, which means I'll end up doing one more hot day next July, because of state laws and our family calendar. Sigh.

Oh, I had one idea: maybe I'll count today as a school day after all. Surely listening to my constant lectures on preventive hand-washing was educational for all, right?

Ramona

Health and Safety Day Wink

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you recontaminate each other? It's the same viral infection or bacterial infection, and once your immune system kills it off, it's dead. Diseases aren't like lice Smile

Most cases of the barfies are food poisoning.
Ramona
User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really sleep-deprived right now and my brain feels woolly. So I'll probably say something totally outrageous by mistake. But my understanding is that not all communicable pathogens cause the body to develop immunity. (I seem to remember 30-some years ago in school being told that generally viruses do but bacteria don't? If that were ever believed to be true, maybe it's not any more. IDK.)

If one person's immune system could "kill it dead" it would no longer be communicable, and that's certainly not true.

If it's food poisoning, then obviously there's no immune response, no question at all about how people could recontaminate each other, right?

What I do know, as observed fact as a mother of 7, a mother for nearly 18 years, is that when my kids get sick it tends to go through the whole family one and two people at a time, and sometimes after one of the earlier ones appears to be totally healthy for days they get the same symptoms again later on. I call that recontamination. Maybe there's some other explanation. Science got a lot a splainin to do.

On a related note, I always tell my kids to wash with hot water, but I read something the other day that pointed out that our skin can't stand water hot enough to kill germs (boiling?) so washing with hot water shouldn't matter. I still tell my kids to do it. It seems to work better. I don't know why. Maybe hotter water activates soap better???

As to whether what my family had recently was food poisoning or an illness, the same symptoms have been "going around" our community so I assumed it was an illness. No idea.

Ramona
Theodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends. Some bacteria cover themselves in a protective coating that makes it hard to kill them (you see this in chronic lung disease), so I'd think that those bacteria would be hard to kill regardless of whether you're immune or not. As I said, though, virtually all cases of the barfies are food poisoning, and while that may appear to go away and then come back, it's still the same case of food poisoning, and your children are unlikely to infect each other or anyone else. What they're puking is the toxic byproducts of the bacteria, not live bacteria, and your immune system can kill anything short of the massive exposure you get from eating tainted food.

Of course, there are other ways you can get a bacterial infection (though food poisoning accounts for almost all cases), and if the entire community is coming down with the barfies, then either they all ate the same food, or the infection is from a different source. Do all the infected families go to the same place?

Water over 160 degrees will start to kill bacteria, but the more important thing is that it opens up pores and makes the soap lather better. I have no idea why soap doesn't lather as well in cold water. Smile
oneofthegirls
User

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teresa,
Do you guys have any outlets- any other friend that homeschool? Last year me and my daughters experiences a LONG mid-year burnout, lol. We were isolated and didn't get out much with other homeschoolers.
This year we are in co op and 4-h and interact with other kids and moms who share our joys and frustrations. It helps so much to have another person objectively look at your situation and bounce some ideas off of you.
It helps to know that you are not alone, that burnout is quite common. Just don't beat yourself up over what you don't accomplish, focus on what you have and do accomplish. High expectations and unreachable goals aided in my burnout. I took the advice of some other ladies on this site- and took some time off..even if it was a day- for some 'us' time. When I look back, there were too many days filled with tears and fights that didn't need to happen. If it's every now and then, it's normal.. but if it is frequent, then something needs to be adjusted in scheduling, curriculum, or time for you and for them. Take time for you- also, with friends and an activity that you love. Neglecting yourself also leads to burnout.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: