Can a homeschool child go to college?

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:06 am

I'm glad to finally know what your issue is Mark!

That particular issue isn't one I worry about but it's still good to know.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:45 am

Any sort of liberal arts or science degree will of course be heavily laced with the liberal / evolutionary point of view, but I don't really view that as much of a threat. You have to go up against that viewpoint in real life, might as well start now. No, it's partying that's the problem - teens are far away from home for the first time and get sucked into doing the wrong thing. Given, technical colleges are generally fairly safe on the partying end of things too, since their parties will probably involve computer games and other geeky things, not booze, sex, and drugs. :)

Of course, most liberal arts degrees are absolutely worthless even for getting a job - they're basically just a way to graduate from college without making your brain work hard. Technical college is the way to go :)

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:41 am

I don't agree that technical college is the way to go at all. I don't find the idea of technical college to be appealing to me and I doubt it will be to my kids.

I'm not scared of my kids being exposed to ideas, even ideas I don't agree with.

I'm also not scared of my kids partying. I trust them to make good decisions in general as well as some mistakes.

Mark

Postby Mark » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:37 am

I reckon that would depend upon the degree, :)
Having seen what my son is planning to go through to get a multiple woodwind degree, with a major in flute performance.. I reckon his brain is gonna get a serious workout. :)
It should be fun to watch. 8)

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:15 am

I'm not saying all liberal arts is useless. Music is a specific focus and is therefore worthwhile, as are journalism, history, etc. But women's studies, black studies, human rights? Even English majors aren't in terribly high demand. If you want to go liberal arts, that's fine, but it should be something specialized and useful. No point blowing even $10,000 for a degree that doesn't teach you anything or make you more competitive in the job market.

My oldest sister is a dual history / writing major, so we're not all technical degrees over here either.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:09 am

I'm not sure those areas are all that marketable but I do think you could learn a great deal from women, black and studies.

mark_egp
User

Postby mark_egp » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:04 am

Mark - http://www.everygoodpath.net/ Homeschool ideas
http://www.everygoodbook.com/ Classic Book lists easy to search/sort for history, literature, and reading lesson plans

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:10 pm

It has rarely, if ever been my goal or my experience to become like any teacher. Does that mean my education has been a failure? I think not. I've learned so much. I continue to learn more every single day. It's good to have discernment capabilities. You need to be able to say to yourself, this speaks to my soul or heart. It's also good to be able to say to yourself, this doesn't make sense to me though I can understand it intellectually.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:03 pm

You only emulate teachers you like and agree with. For instance, I had an excellent Calculus III teacher, but a rather mediocre Programming Languages teacher, so it's obvious which one I'm more likely to emulate. The same sort of thing extends to teachers who push evolution while refusing to counter the blatant discrepancies in geology, biology, radiometric dating, etc. Education is all about having an agile mind, and if all you're doing is teaching propaganda by rote, you're not really worthy of respect. Or at least not mine.

mark_egp
User

Postby mark_egp » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:29 am

Mark - http://www.everygoodpath.net/ Homeschool ideas

http://www.everygoodbook.com/ Classic Book lists easy to search/sort for history, literature, and reading lesson plans

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:22 am

I think you are underestimating young students. I was never one to be swayed by what a teacher thought or what a crowd was doing. Why? Because of how I was raised. I could say "no" with ease and be proud of it and my unique values at a very young (elementary level) age.

In any case, I refuse to live my life, or allow my kids to live theirs, in fear of the world.

I personally felt most enriched when I was able to go into the world and make my own decisions instead of be "sheltered" from it. If you never question and chose you are nothing but part of the herd of sheep.

I was "awakened" when I had real choices IN the world. That wasn't in college but in fifth grade. I'm grateful for the opportunity to really think and truly chose for myself that I've had since that time.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:54 am

Last edited by Theodore on Sun Jun 29, 2008 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

raptorguy85
User

Postby raptorguy85 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:09 pm

Create your homeschool high school transcript for FREE and in about 30 minutes, go to http://www.30minutetranscripts.com.

homescholar
User

Can a homeschooler go to college?

Postby homescholar » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi,
I'm new here but this is something we've had experience with. My two boys graduated together from homeschool high school and got "mommy made" diplomas. We used MS Word to make transcripts and portfolios. Despite doing it ourselves, without the benefit of an accreditation agency, etc., both boys managed to both get four year, full-tuition scholarships to their first choice university. We wrote an article about this experience.

Homeschooling high school works! :D
Blessings,
Lee Binz
The HomeScholar
"Helping parents homeschool high school"
Free mini-course! http://budurl.com/5mistakesmini

casamonika
User

Postby casamonika » Sat Jun 28, 2008 12:23 am

Return to “High School / College Prep”