What would you do?

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

wrightno
User

What would you do?

Postby wrightno » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:32 pm

natasha w.

Cally
User

Postby Cally » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:09 pm

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:48 pm

Hugsncrumbs
User

Question for Stellar

Postby Hugsncrumbs » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:22 pm

How old are your kids? My kids are 5 and 3 and my husband is scared of homeschooling but said he was open to a "trial" of it. However, he insisted we put our son in a 4-K program this year (just sweet-talking me with the homeschool trial thing, I guess, cause when it came down to it... ) Our son has been coming home stressed and "mean"; a big change in his personality. But my dh still insists that school is the best thing for him. How did you convince your husband to actually let you "try homeschooling"? Thanks!

StellarStory
User

Re: Question for Stellar

Postby StellarStory » Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:28 pm

JDS
User

Postby JDS » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:21 am

kaysandee
User

Get Out While It's Still Legal

Postby kaysandee » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:55 pm

I believe, truly, that with all of the current news, that an urgent warning is in order. If you are considering pulling your children out of public schooling - Make the leap of faith. There are so many resources now for homeschooling moms that it is wonderful. It is also wonderful for family bonding and building stronger family ties.

Now for the urgent warning! (Plus you can check out [http://www.qrsmess.com] In the 13 years that I have worked with homeschool students coming from public schools, I have not tested ONE student who has tested on grade level. Most are anywhere from 2 to 4 years behind.

Right now I have 14 first through third graders and the only ones who can read are the ones who were homeschooled. That means that 10 can't read. Most are from public school and a couple from Catholic school.

The biggest travesty this year is a 6th grader (public school) who's supposed to be in the 7th who couldn't pass our 3rd grade testing. He can't read and his PS resource teacher said that to get him to the 6th grade his teachers read all of his work to him. Yet, he is a perfectly normal child who wants to learn.
Keep Public School ONLY as an Elective

Hugsncrumbs
User

Thank you for your replies

Postby Hugsncrumbs » Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:12 pm

Thanks for your thoughtful advice and replies. It is good insight because that is my dh's main reason for wanting our son to go to school and thinks the public school is good enough (ie so he won't be a "mama's boy"). I request your prayers because dh can be a very stiff-necked man, not only with homeschooling but in other areas of life as well, which makes it a challenge in our (my kids and my) daily life. (p.s. I secretly pulled my son out of the pre-school yesterday because of some of the curriculum I saw they had planned for the next month. I figure that I'm going to be standing before God, not dh, at the Judgement. But I still need your prayers for the meantime!)
Thank you.

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”