Unit Studies

Discuss unschooling, eclectic, the unit study approach, or any other "unusual" homeschooling method.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Juloyes
User

Unit Studies

Postby Juloyes » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:01 pm

Julie

Mark

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:32 am

elliemaejune
User

Postby elliemaejune » Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:54 pm

Well, it worked better for me to have two days a week of KONOS activities, with the others being done the other three days. Doing everything every day made me a crazy woman :-)

The library books suggested for each unit are just that: suggestions. Ninety percent (I just picked a random percentage, lol, but it's true nevertheless) of the activities are contained right there in that volume of KONOS. If you don't have time to go to the library, don't choose an activity that is dependent on a library book. If you don't read any of those books at all, your dc won't miss a thing. If you can't find a specific book, use another one on the same subject. It will be fine.

I also have to say that I usually recommend that people toss those lesson plans. You don't need 'em. Here's what I recommend:

Take your big ol' book to Kinko's or other similar place and have the spine cut off (only costs a few dollars). Remove the lesson plans. Have the rest of the book drilled for three holes, so it will fit in a big ol' three-ring notebook. Take out the character trait you're working on and put it in a smaller notebook until you're finished. Put it back and take out the next one. This will SO make your life easier.

Return to “Homeschooling Styles and Philosophies”