Peer Tutors

Everything from basic math up through high school!

Moderators: Bob Hazen, Theodore, elliemaejune

StellarStory
User

Peer Tutors

Postby StellarStory » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:10 pm

My daughter is wanting me to find a peer tutor for Pre Cal this year. I've googled and put out a call to all the home school communities I could find.

If anyone has any other ideas let me know, please.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:59 am

If you live near a community college, the college will probably have students who help out as advisors, that could be an option. One of my sisters is a math advisor at our local community college, at least when she's not working on her own coursework.

Another option might be to just take a community college course. As someone who's done both self-study (Calc I and II) and community college (Calc III), I much prefer the latter method for difficult subjects. It's just nice being around a group of students all studying the same thing, and community college courses only cost like $300 each.

Incidently, I went straight from Alg II to Calculus. The pre-Calc trig identities and so on were all in the first chapter of the book anyway, and I'd rather get straight into using the identities than spend months trying to learn them for no apparent reason. It's the same reason why a foreign language teaches English grammar better than an English grammar course :)

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:39 am

I've started looking at colleges close by.

She and I generally hate doing what everyone else is doing at the same time.

Dual enrollment will only let her take courses that would be classified at electives which she doesn't need not math, English or anything you'd think would be a natural fit. I find that frustrating.

Return to “Math”