curriculum questions

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

SophiesMom
User

curriculum questions

Postby SophiesMom » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:38 pm

I was just wondering what other people used for curriculum. I have been researching many different companies and am torn. I like living books, but they only go as high as 3rd grade. I also really like Calvert and Covenant Home, but Calvert is expensive, very expensive. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks :D
Amie and Sophie

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:45 pm

We used LifePac and I really enjoyed them for most of the subjects. My sister did the CDs later on and that made it a bit easier for my mom to grade.

I like Rod & Staff for reading/Bible. Bob Jones for reading as well. (I did like five reading courses).

I'm a huge fan of mixing and matching curriculums. I think you get the best of all the worlds if you do that. Try something like a half.com or amazon when you're looking for text books.

MINDsprinting has some great math and reading comprehension courses - they use a worksheet based curriculum where you enter the results online and they grade them for you. You can check their stuff out by clicking on the link in my siggy.

Life2me
User

Postby Life2me » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:26 pm

It is best to first know how your child learns when you are looking into curriculum. There are sites that will help you narrow down the choices of curriculums. There is a site called Teach Your Children Well at Home. I like it. Maybe it can help you too. Here is the address
:arrow: http://homeschool.teachyourchildrenwell.org/.
I will look for a good site that can help you figure out your childs learning style. I found one the other day but cant find my book mark. :( Will keep looking
Last edited by Life2me on Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life2me
User

Postby Life2me » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:56 pm

Hey I found something!!!
Its not the exact site I was looking for, that one has a test to see which curriculum would be best for your childs learning style. But this one tells all about learning styles and how to figure out where your child falls. Hope it helps :D

http://members.aol.com/PegFlint/homesch ... tyles.html

OldHomeschoolMom
User

Postby OldHomeschoolMom » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:09 pm

I used a little of this and a little of that to design a curriculum. Here's some of what I used.

Usborne History & Science
Saxon Math
Backyard scientist set in addition to Usborne Science books

We went to a homeschool book fair where we viewed many different publishers books and spoke to reps who gave us a lot of information.

We could never find a complete set of books we liked from one publisher. That's why we put together our own curriculum from several sources.
Homeschool Mom

ccmmum
User

Postby ccmmum » Tue May 02, 2006 6:05 am

easyhomeschooling
User

styles and methods

Postby easyhomeschooling » Wed May 10, 2006 3:12 pm

The majority of homeschoolers "pick and choose" individual items. This is recommended but it isn't always necessary to spend a lot of money. A plan is important. At the opposite ends of the methods are Unschooling and Structured Schooling.
Lorraine Curry
FREE homeschooling ebooks, copywork and more!
http://www.easyhomeschooling.com

hbmom36
User

Postby hbmom36 » Mon May 15, 2006 10:24 pm

We use Singapore math (like it very much). I don't use any set curriculum for the rest. I was using "Spelling Workout" and "Italics: Beautiful Handwriting for Children," but my daughter is too independent for those. For Science, we read various books on the topic we're studying; the same goes for History.

johnchris845
User

Re: curriculum questions

Postby johnchris845 » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:58 pm

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”