New kid needs help.........

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

jamal319
User

New kid needs help.........

Postby jamal319 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:39 am

Hello all, my name is Jamal and im 16 in the 11th grade not doing so good in public schools, im from NYC(New york) and some of the teachers dont care if you pass/fail or learn. Ive been bearly passing my classes with low grades such as 65s-70s-75s. Latley im becoming unatracted to school and not wanting to go. As for home schooling my mother works from 8am-4pm getting home at 5:30. Is there home school teachers that would come to me daily? or some online programs i would be able to do to finish 11th/12th grade and get my diploma.

Thanks any comments/feedback/information would help :cry: :(

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:19 pm

Homeschooling at your age is mostly teaching yourself. You can download high school or college syllabuses online for any subject you're interested in learning, get used textbooks or books from the library, then when you feel you've covered the material sufficiently, test out of the subject through AP, CLEP, etc. If a subject is too difficult for you to learn on your own, or your mom can't help, there are a variety of online courses (or community college courses) you can take. For instance, I took courses from:

Scholar's Online Academy (full range of high school courses)
PA Homeschoolers (AP test prep)
Escondido Tutorial Service (classical-oriented courses)
Meramec Community College

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:14 pm

The Teenage Liberation Handbook can give you some great ideas about non conventional learning but the most important thing is to ask yourself a few questions. If my Mom can't help, am I self disciplined enough to really get my work done on my own?

Return to “High School / College Prep”