sequential spelling or Spelling power

Discuss the pros and cons of various curriculums, or get help on which to choose!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Biscuit Fan
User

sequential spelling or Spelling power

Postby Biscuit Fan » Sat Sep 22, 2007 2:04 pm

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu Sep 27, 2007 10:06 pm

I prefer spelling power. I've also used some online sites. However, I truly think that this is a subject that a person's maturity has to kick in before they will make any real progress in it. I mean if they have a problem with spelling in general.

Laurieinwa
User

if they have troubles with spelling

Postby Laurieinwa » Mon Nov 05, 2007 11:20 pm

then sequential spelling....i used spelling power for years and every year some of my kids ended up at the same level

i switched to sequential spelling and i see him using it in real life and progressing
Wife to Gary 23 years. Mom to Tyler (21), Bucky (19), Callie (17), Tobias (14), Miles (11), Maggie Rose (8), Isaac (5), Gary Jr. (2).

sevenkidsisgreat
User

Postby sevenkidsisgreat » Tue Nov 06, 2007 7:41 am

The basic difference between these is that Sequential Spelling (SS) is grouped by word families whereas Spelling Power (SP) is grouped by phonetic sound. For instance in SS you will see lists like all the (-at) words but in SP you will have all the words that have the "ah" sound like tall, walk, saw, etc... I have a 10 year old that has had some reading/spelling issues, and we are doing some remedial phonics this year focusing on the phonograms and SP has really helped. He is learning all the different ways to say the vowel sounds which is where he was having trouble.

It really depends on if you are having any remedial issues and what your approach to phonics/reading has been. The spelling program is really a reinforcement of reading. I have a friend who is using SS and loves it, and I also have a friend who is using a program like SS called, If it is to be, it is up to me by AVKO Educational Research. It has more scripted teacher information for teaching than SS so she chose it and likes it also.

Cheryl

Return to “Curriculum Discussion”