Banned Books Week

Anything having to do with religion or religious debate goes here.

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Sun Sep 23, 2007 6:51 pm

Stellar is right in that she isn't going to change anyone's mind. People have their very strong opinions and to change it would be pretty incredible. I do want to say, though, that I believe a child can be raised in a loving enviroment and experience a "spanking" here and there and be fine. Not turning into a rebellious wild child, or a gone wild teenager. Someone in one of their posts said something about consistancy. I think that is key. If the kids KNOW they are loved and the discipline is consistant, they will be ok. (This excludes physical abuse, of course. I don't consider a spanking abuse.) But again, to each his own. My kids have gotten spankings before, and I know without a doubt that I didn't abuse them, and so do they.

I personally disagree with using anything except the hand, because how would you make sure you weren't hitting too hard? See, so many differences of opinions!! Looks like another "agree to disagree" topic. :|

Calleigh

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Sun Sep 23, 2007 7:32 pm

I think this has gotten way off my original point, which was, if you practice violence in the home through corporal punishment, it's rather hypocritical to want to censor the public library and say the books are too violent. I mean, let's keep the violence from being practiced before we stop reading about it.
"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:34 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:46 am

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:26 am

Point taken, Theodore. However, violence is violence, right? That is what I am getting from this conversation.

There is no distinction and there is no appropriate age to expose anyone to any violence in any form (with the most liberal interpretation of violence). Whether it be a parent lightly slapping a child's hand, a child pushing another child on the playground, a parent with love spanking a child, an adult beating a child in uncontrolled anger, people being tortured, wars, rape, etc., it is all one and the same. Therefore, watching a movie or reading a book or listening to music showing or describing such things being done is likewise subjecting one to abuse and/or violence and all violence, without exception or distinction, should be banned, even those of fantasy with pirate sword fights, Star Wars light saber fights, Star Trek phazers, Spiderman, Power Rangers, Pokemon, etc., because it exposes people to violence.

So, if there is no distinction between a violent act and an appropriate disciplinary act, then there is absolutely no excuse for anyone denouncing all violence, and including spanking as violence, yet promoting access to any books, movies, music, etc. that have any form of violence in them.

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Mon Sep 24, 2007 10:43 am

I personally don't see the issues of book banning and parental discipline to be at all intertwined.

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:07 am

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."

- M. Montessori

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:01 pm

momagator
User

Postby momagator » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:52 pm

Hi all,

I have a question, I know it is going to be off subject....but after reading all the posts it brought on old problem of mine to light and I was hoping mabe I could get some ideas or suggestions on what to do.

Before I became a christian I was a huge Stephen King fan, I have all of his books (hard cover) and many collectors books - some of which have nothing to do with the horror genre - anyway I am at a loss as to what to do with them. My main objection to most of his books is the negative way he portrays christians and christainity. I do not want my kids reading them now or as adults so I can't keep them, I hestitate to give them away (it seems wrong to expose others to lies that could cause a stumbling block). If I throw them in the dump the guy that works there will just scavange them (and because I know he would, it would be the same as if I had gave them to him) and I cannot burn them - I loathe the thought of burning books and everything it stands for...so I feel like I am stuck. Any suggestions?

Thanks, sorry for the off-topic-ness of this post! :oops:

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:57 pm

- M. Montessori

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:57 pm

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:38 pm

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:35 pm

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Mon Sep 24, 2007 5:42 pm

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:24 pm

- M. Montessori

Return to “Religious Discussion / Topics”