Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Test for ADD or not?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yeahbut225
User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Test for ADD or not? Reply with quote

I am so glad to find this forum. My dd is 6 and we decided to give her an extra year before starting kindergarten not because she was behind academically but because of the "wigglies". I worked very sparsely with her on "Hooked on Phonics" last school year. We have just started Phonics Pathways in conjunction with HOP. She has made it up to a level 4.
Here are my concerns:
1. Mom has ADD but taught myself to read by age 5
2. Daughter has a voracious appetite for looking at books and has a phenomenal imagination/vocabulary but seems to show little interest in wanting to read text.
3. She inverts letter, skips words, loses her place. I just saw a website selling some reading aid and it reallly freaked me out because of 10 abnormal reading behaviors on there she does almost all of them.
4. I am perhaps most disturbed by her memory. I we don't do reading for 2 days say . . . it is like she has never seen the sight words in her life.
If the word is "what" she will guess "see". I am completely confounded.
5. She can do oral dictation wonderfully!

Should I test her or not if I am homeschooling? I am not opposed to meds per se but would consider them only as a last resort.
Theodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be too concerned. Everyone has some amount of dyslexia and concentration problems, and you solve that simply by practicing more. Regarding sight words - children have more and more trouble recognizing sight words as the number of words increases past a few dozen. That's simply not a viable way to teach reading. You need to work entirely on having her read words by sounding them out, even if this means things go a lot more slowly at the start. Once she learns basic phonics, sight recognition will follow.

The human brain is a lot better at remembering patterns than random strings of letters. Without phonics, words are just random.
Mark

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the meantime, you might consider seeing an opthomologist to
check for problems and look into things that help dyslexia issues.

mark
Lily
User

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you ever seen Zoophonics? http://www.zoo-phonics.com/ I really think this might be a good fit for your daughter, better than a traditional phonic program. It also uses ASL signs to teach the letters (a right-handed child will only make "d" the correct way, giving an instant visual and very different from 'b') and a whole body approach.

I am more concerned about your daughter guessing at words than about the 'warning signs' (my 8yo still loses his place sometimes reading aloud and skips words in an effort to get to the end quicker). If she is guessing random words then the phonics isn't sticking at all.

Testing her is up to you. Personally, I think that as long as you continue to meet her needs, testing should be put on the back burner. She is who she is, and a diagnosis won't tell you anything different than you already know.
kerry1968
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is very common for kids with ADD to be very smart. Their brain works too fast. My son could read a newspaper in 1st grade and would get in trouble for reading along with the teacher. Kids w/ add and public school are a bad fit.
Theodore

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason bright kids have "ADD" is that nothing in school is interesting enough to hold their attention. They don't really have "ADD", which is really just a made-up label - they're just bored.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Special Needs Homeschooling All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: