Defending yourself is tiring??

Want to contribute your views on the homeschool vs public school debate, or just looking for information? Post here!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

iamnettie
User

Defending yourself is tiring??

Postby iamnettie » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:05 am

frogguruami
User

Postby frogguruami » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:22 pm

AM, homeschooling mom to Drake and Kyllian
www.seilerclan.info

Sunnymom
User

Postby Sunnymom » Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:10 pm

When I first started HSing, I would defend homeschooling, especially with those who were asking questions because they were interested or curious. Those who asked questions or made comments to be obnoxious I would generally ignore, and, as frog suggested, change the course of the conversation.

Lately I have started going on the offensive. There are enough unacceptable things going on in PS that it isn't difficult to turn the tables and question parents who would send their kids to inefficient and under-performing schools in decrepit buildings being taught by the lowest common denominator.

I find that I am not tired at all. :lol:

If dealing with people is stressful, then don't. Don't go to forums or message boards where people are allowed to post personal attacks. Find a forum that is unapologetically pro-homeschooling, and get the encouragement that you need to keep going. This is about your family and kids, not pacifying or debating the nimrods that can't find their behinds with both hands and a flashlight. :wink:

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:51 pm

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."
- M. Montessori
Proud non-member of the HSLDA

Calla_Dragon
User

Postby Calla_Dragon » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:12 am

To be idle is a short road to death and to be diligent is a way of life; foolish people are idle, wise people are diligent.

Sunnymom
User

Postby Sunnymom » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:09 am

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:43 am

"The greatest sign of success for a teacher... is to be able to say, "The children are now working as if I did not exist."

- M. Montessori

Sunnymom
User

Postby Sunnymom » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:47 am

Lily
User

Postby Lily » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:35 pm

- M. Montessori

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:56 pm

Last edited by StellarStory on Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunnymom
User

Postby Sunnymom » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:39 am

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:55 am

Well, much of how I handle the situation depends on the situation. If it is a situation where I feel I might be able to educate an person, I will take the time. If someone is just there trying to tear homeschooling down as a sport in general, I remind myself that in defending homeschooling that I would be acknowledging that his/her argument has validity....

Then I just laugh out loud and walk away shaking my head. Works for me! 8)

ibkellyb
User

Why is it even neccessary

Postby ibkellyb » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:04 am

ScottHughes
User

Postby ScottHughes » Thu Sep 13, 2007 5:58 pm

Morgan
User

Postby Morgan » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:05 pm

Like StellarStory said, my reaction depends on the situation...

When I first began homeschooling, my grandmother was very... shall I say ... concerned. She was completely anti-homeschool, and she made it out like this was a temporary deal. Every time her and my mother spoke on the phone, she would ask something a bit like this: "So, when will Morgan be going back to school?" And the first time I heard about this, I was shocked. Did she really, truly, believe that homeschooling was temporary? I confronted her (not directly) about it, and I found that she believed it was strictly a social issue and that homeschooling was just a way of me getting away from whatever was bothering me at school. I'd tried, and my mom tried, to get my grandmother to understand that this was permanent, that this was real, and that this had nothing to do with any kind of social issue. It took a while to get her to understand, but finally after a year, she hasn't said anything about it. However, she still challenges that fact that we are getting an adequate education.

If the situation arises where someone is directly challenging whether or not I am getting a fit education, my first instinct is to say something like "I am in pursuit of knowledge, rather than knowledge being in pursuit of me." and quote some famous homeschooler, but instead I laugh it off and think "Are you serious?". I leave the talking up to my mother. :D

But, to the point, I do not tire of defending myself. I am feisty when people get in my way and challenge my beliefs. And yes, I would enjoy greatly, beyond a doubt, making a point to these kind of people in such a way that would permanently turn their point of view around.
"What we want to see is the child in pursuit of knowledge, not knowledge in pursuit of the child."
- George Bernard Shaw

Return to “Homeschool vs Public School”