Frustration

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:59 am

laurabeth
User

Postby laurabeth » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:50 am

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Tue Sep 11, 2007 10:10 am

Can't be too sensitive or you will end up nitpicking. I'm sure someone could find something wrong with any statement regardless of how careful the person was trying to be. I'm sure I and others get lumped into sterotypes all the time because of being a Christian. I would defend my position and leave it at that. I know who I am. If someone wants to lump me into a sterotype I'm not going to be able to stop them anyway. I know the reason they would put me in that "category" is because I share many of the same ideas and values while still being a separate individual.

It's kind of funny looking at this post though...There have been so many posts talking about how children should be sent to school to be lights and good influences and yet here we are debating this issue with adults feeling like they don't belong and struggling with it in a forum! Think how much worse it is for the kids in the public schools who can't even express that without being ridiculed. How interesting to think about that.

Calleigh

laurabeth
User

Postby laurabeth » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:00 am

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:23 am

Absoulutely! I am the first to agree that a "just deal with it" attitude when someone is being ridiculed is not effective. No one should accept being ridiculed; although they do have "deal with it" in some form or another. Either by responding to it, ignoring it, etc. Because we can't control how other people will treat us all the time (or even most of the time). I thought it was an interesting comparison. I don't recall anyone being ridiculed on here though. However, I haven't read every single post, so maybe I missed something. My point was that if people are going to discuss things they are going to say things that someone would maybe be sensitive about. Like I said before, this forum seems pretty mild to me and people do seem pretty sensitive to others feelings.

I think it was a resonable manner to bring the subject up and people responded to it. I don't think that the conversation has been unhealthy. :?

Calleigh

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:15 pm

I think that a person who stereotypes can envision expectations that could be inaccurate for any individual, however I don't see stereotyping as "alienating" except by those who would wish to alienate themselves from people that don't meet their expectations anyway.

zozomom
User

Postby zozomom » Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:52 pm

Gee Whiz everyone!
here's my 2 cents. Thank God that we live in the USA and other countries where we can express our opinions, as different as they are. I feel like nowadays, though, we tend to be too thin skinned. When we read something we don't agree with,we often ( and I'm including myself in this)get offended rather than viewing the idea as someone's opinion. People post their ideas as they come and don't always take the time to think and rethink again, trying to find something that may possibly offend someone.
Let's just all extend grace to each other and continue on with our day.
Blessings to all of you .

laurabeth
User

Postby laurabeth » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:48 pm

laurabeth
User

Postby laurabeth » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:53 pm

laurabeth
User

Postby laurabeth » Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:56 pm

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:43 pm

Being "politically correct" would be an issue for me. If people have to be politically correct on here they really aren't free to share their opinions. Again, I'm not saying that people should rip others apart, but if you want to be politically correct you basically can't say anything; you may offend someone. :roll:

Calleigh

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:47 pm

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:48 pm

laurabeth
User

Postby laurabeth » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:31 pm

I really cant believe how out of hand this has gotten. If I could I would delete the whole thread! I am sorry but I don't think it is to much to ask to think about what you say before you say it. Isnt that what we teach our kids? I teach mine that....... or how bout if you have nothing good to say dont say anything......

If you read the post where I used the dreaded "politically correct" phrase I said nicer, politically correct or however you wanna put it. I was not trying to insinuate a message board should be 100% politically correct, that is taking it out of context. And to say it "obviously wasn't general stereotyping that bothers you" is incorrect. I hate stereotyping all together, I think it is wrong to put any one group of people in a lump like that and say they are all "x" period. I did say in my original post that some things I saw bothered me because I felt they were lumping me in with others where I didn't belong. I chose to bring it up in this way because I thought it would be more productive than saying oh blablabla isn't true because it becomes a whole different debate. I didn't mention specifics because they don't matter to me period. No one should be lumped!

I am not talking about people not giving there opinions, I am talking about someone making a statement against, or for, for that matter a specific group. Saying "I think all democrats hate homeschoolers" is different than saying "all democrats hate homeschoolers" for example.

My #1 point that seems to keep getting lost here is that everyone on this board should know what its like to be looked down on or had things said about because of 1 thing about them......homeschool, something we all have in common. So knowing how much you hate being in that situation why would you want to put others in that situation because of another part of them?

I said from the beginning that although I didn't like what I saw I didn't think there was malice to it or anything, and I stand by that. I am not sitting here crying myself to sleep or something over other peoples lack of thought about what they post in some forum.

You wanna know the gods honest truth though? I feel more attacked in this thread than in any post I saw that lead me to make this one, how ironic is that......... I post to try to bring up a topic that might make this place more welcoming to more people than it is, and I get my words picked apart, taken out of context, told what my intent was, and get told to alienate someone in particular instead of pose a reasonable topic to the forum at large and offend someone who had no bad intentions to begin with or pick a fight in that thread, ....... go figure right....... I feel like I am back in the school yard being picked on because I voiced an opinion.

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:22 pm

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”