Frustration

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

laurabeth
User

Frustration

Postby laurabeth » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:44 pm

I am new here, and I am new to homeschooling. I joined this forum and some other online groups because I am new to homeschooling and I am looking for help resources from people who have been doing this longer than me. I guess you could say that even though I don't like the ps system at all and have no faith in it I am terribly worried (like it seems a lot of "newbies" are) about missing things. I am the type that would pack the whole house to go on a week long vacation for fear of leaving something important behind.

I am not usually one to make waves, I like to have intelligent conversation and I am always up for a healthy debate of facts and opinions as long as the mud and slinger are left at the door. I have been reading thread after thread, post after post, to gain knowledge and confidence in homeschooling and my choice to do it and although I have found droves of information and I feel like I have been respected and helped with questions I also feel frustrated. I guess maybe I am a minority in the homeschooling community or something, and I am just not meant to fit in with the support systems set up for homeschooling but it saddens me. I don't mean this to attack anyones opinions or beliefs at all, I guess I just don't understand.

From what I have read here and on other groups, as well as my own (new) experience when you decide to homeschool/continue to homeschool you are put down, ridiculed, and questioned by many for the duration because of stereotypes and misconceptions. But entwined in so many threads are stereotypical remarks about "x" type of people and "y" type of people grouping people by all sorts of things and maybe the people who post these stereotypical comments don't realize that maybe someone who is x or y might be a homeschooler on this board it is very hurtful when you are and its no different to those x and y people to see that part of them put down than it is to have the homeschooling part of them put down.

Every single person on here could be grouped in one stereotype or another, whether it be "everyone over 21" or "every red-head" or "every one who uses x curriculum" etc. everyone can be "put" somewhere. Every time anyone uses any stereotype it is offending someone and all of us knows what that feels like.

I don't want to get into specifics as far as what offended me or who said it, because I don't think anyone had that intention, I think more likely than not it just wasn't thought about. Many of the posts were made quite a time ago too. I am sure I have offended someone in my lifetime and maybe I have even on this board and I certainly didn't mean to. I do know however that every time I do go to post here or anywhere I will think twice. I want nothing more than to have a place like this to feel welcome and be accepted because I don't have any local support in this new part of my life. Homeschooling is something that has already changed my life and my relationships with my children greatly and I wouldn't give it up for the world. Having a place for support is something I feel I need though to be able to be successful at it.

I mentioned in a recent post of mine in another thread that I think the only way any change would come (change was regarding government control issues in the thread I am speaking of) was if all homeschoolers put aside there differences and came together for the purpose. I think that fits here too. I am very different than a lot of people here, I don't share the same beliefs, methods, and/or opinions of many, but that doesn't matter to me. I wanted to be a part of this community to broaden my horizons to give my children the best and most I can and tap into the minds and lives of people who know more about homeschooling than I do and also to share my knowledge with other people, because even though I have only been homeschooling for a short time I have been a mom all of my adult life :).

I just wanted to bring the matter up in the hopes that it might help people remember that we are all different, but regardless of our method of homeschooling, political party, religion, affiliations, opinions, race, gender, age, hair color, and everything in between we all want the same thing, the best for our children's lives and education. Before hitting the submit button think about who you might be singling out and if you really want to.

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Sep 09, 2007 3:44 am

People fit other people into various slots (older people, younger people, whites, blacks, public schoolers, homeschoolers, etc) because that's the only way to make sense of the world. You try to extrapolate your past experiences into future expectations, and if you end up doing a bad job with that, it's only because you don't have enough experiences to work with. Are all stereotypes incorrect? Only if you inflexibly apply them to individuals.

While there has been a fair bit of heated debate in the forum, I haven't seen much attacking of people, just ideas. If you see something you don't agree with, feel free to say so - don't stop just because the majority disagrees. Truth is truth. Best example of this would be knobren, who apparently never gives up - not that I'm saying she's necessarily correct, just outnumbered. :)

4given
User

Postby 4given » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:43 pm

laurabeth
User

Postby laurabeth » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:14 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:11 am

laurabeth
User

Postby laurabeth » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:43 am

laurabeth
User

Postby laurabeth » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:53 am

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:35 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:45 pm

laurabeth
User

Postby laurabeth » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:55 pm

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:56 pm

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:03 pm

I'm going to butt in here, because I've been following this thread feeling like I'm in a math story problem gone really bad! :wink:

I think it is like anywhere else in the world here in that some people would perhaps look at you as a "bad" one,(for whatever reasons) and others would accept you as you are. Even though we are all just a bunch of letters on a screen in here, we are still people. So be yourself as much as you would if you were in a room with these people, ya know? Some will offend, some won't. The thing is, is that the ones who don't care whether or not they offend you still won't care even though you posted this.

On the other hand, you can't expect people not to post their true feelings for fear of offending. If they are, for example, having an opinion on democrats (I only use this because you did), then they should be able to give that opinion. This is a pretty mild forum, I think, compared to most that I've seen. People are pretty gentle even with their opinions.

Just my two cents.

Calleigh

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:30 am

We need to start using "conservative" and "liberal" rather than "Republican" and "Democrat" because both parties seem to act more or less the same way when it comes to pork barrel projects, lobbyists, etc. It's only evil behavior when the other side is in power and doing it, then the objections disappear when your side takes over.

I very much wish that it were possible to elect third-party candidates, but it seems impossible for a third-party candidate to win without hundreds of millions of dollars, which means either a massive private fortune or making deals with at least some of the lobbies. Reason: So many people are badly educated these days that they'll believe anything they hear on TV, so massive TV campaigns are necessary for a win. I doubt more than a small minority of the voting population actually bothers to research candidates on their own before voting.

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:44 am

Yeah, but even then all Libertarians are feeling left out of the conversation. :P

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:43 am

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”