quick question

Find out how to handle homeschooling through high school and college prep!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

annonymous03
User

quick question

Postby annonymous03 » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:01 pm

so i have an appointment soon with a psychologist i think or some kind if therapist doctor.. and im going to talk to them about my problems and how i want to be home-schooled... do you think that they will help me pursue being home-schooled by talking to my parents and helping me consider it and stuff or do you think theyy will just perscribe me medicine to relax and go to school still

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:25 am

Last edited by Theodore on Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

annonymous03
User

Postby annonymous03 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 9:25 am

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:15 pm

My experience with counselors is that they tend to think home schooling will bring out whatever is really wrong with the family or child and make it worse.

I don't know all therapists but the one I took my girl too thought home schooling would make her worse and clearly thought I was bad for her so spending more time with me would make her spiral down further into depression.

After we began to home school, she admitted how much better my daughter was and that I'd been right to go that route rather than with drugs she wanted to prescribe. My daughter's attitude changed literally, overnight from completely depressed to excited and happy.

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:02 am

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:30 am

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:33 am

Calleigh
User

Postby Calleigh » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:34 am

Stellar,

I'm glad you shared that. Our kids do have a way of making us EMOTIONAL don't they? ;) And isn't it ironic how being so worried about our children can make us turn on each other? We went through some of those same emotions. I think just from feeling so helpless at the time.

I had a somewhat similiar situation with my son and a doctor and the schools. "He has ADD; put him on this..." Right after I had specifically told the doctor I WAS AGAINST USING DRUGS. He just matter of factly started writing out the prescription as though I had no choice in the matter. Of course, after the school found out he had been "diagnosed" with ADD and I wasn't putting him on anything they pretty much threw up their hands and literally said, "We don't know what to do. We can't help him." My son was miserable too, and I worried about future depression and suicide attempts because I remember very well how it felt to be overwhelmed as a child with no end in sight.

I bet your daughter felt so much better knowing that there are always other options. I know my son sure did! Even I felt better realizing that there are always other options.

I'm so glad for you and your family that everything turned out so well! :) I love happy endings!!!!

Calleigh

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:46 am

Thanks and I'm happy for you and yours as well!

Yes, our school tested my son for ADD after I had told them I wouldn't let them! He did not test positive for it. So ha!

His k-5 teacher had three of her own kids on drugs for it. She told EVERY parent of a male child to A) hold that child back and B) put them on drugs!

At the time I spoke of above, my girl was diagnosed with depression and ADD but I do not believe she had ADD. I refused drugs. In fact, the first thing I told the doc was don't ever talk to me about drugs due to problems I'd seen with other family members and what I call "social" drugs.

Docs are trained a certain ways of thinking. That nearly ALL problems from from your childhood caregivers. All women are hysterical. And there is a magic pill for everything. These assumptions are not helpful in many cases.

brittany-m
User

school code

Postby brittany-m » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:56 pm

OK a quick question is the only place i see this fitting.

Does anyone Know WHAT i'm supposed to put on a college application under school code.

I'm hoeschooled in Colorado and google isn,t much help in this area. lol :?:
Brittany J

StellarStory
User

Re: school code

Postby StellarStory » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:07 pm

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:35 am

Return to “High School / College Prep”