School Methods

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

Nungi
User

School Methods

Postby Nungi » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:45 pm

Theodore

Re: School Methods [FL]

Postby Theodore » Thu Mar 30, 2006 4:46 pm

I don't know of a site that lists standards for all the states, but the following site should tell you what you need to know regarding your state:

http://www.firn.edu/doe/curric/prek12/frame2.htm

As for "traditional" vs year-round, year-round is better imho because:

1) You can do less per day
2) You get more done per year
3) There isn't a large gap of time during which you conveniently forget everything you learned the year before

Of course, you might take out a few weeks for special things like vacation or visiting a relative or attending a homeschool convention, and any outside classes will still follow a semester schedule, but overall you'll just spread things out more. The amount of homework each child has to complete per day, even in the later grades, shouldn't require more than 2-3 hours, leaving most of the day free for fun things and extracurriculars.

SOPHIE
User

traditional vs year round hs

Postby SOPHIE » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:58 am

I agree with Theodore. I believe schooling year round is a good idea. The only downfall that I found with that was the peer response to my girls' schedule, when their friends, who mostly are public school educated, would comment on having the summer off and wonder why they didn't. My eldest was very much effected by the opinion of her peers and still is. I believe that learning should be active part of life and an enjoyable one at that!

Nungi
User

Postby Nungi » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:24 am

Thanks yall for the input. I had liked the year around idea better as well. I was homeschooled for 5 years but due to my parents' missionary work my school was always different. I was wondering what most people liked better. And thanks Theodore for the website!

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Fri Apr 07, 2006 1:36 pm

I like a combo of traditional and "Unschooling" approaches. The idea is that education can happen anywhere AND we need to be disciplined sometimes in our studies really appeals to me.

I did an article on Unschooling in my blog: http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/SupComTabz/100727/

easyhomeschooling
User

Looking Waaaaay Ahead

Postby easyhomeschooling » Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:44 pm

Hi Val,

We actually decided to homeschool before any of my children were born. It is a good thing that you are doing your research now! From birth to about age 5 the very best thing to do is to read to your child, along with always responding, expecially when he/she begins talking.
Lorraine Curry
FREE homeschooling ebooks, copywork and more!
http://www.easyhomeschooling.com

Return to “Getting Started”