Homeschool World Forums     Home     Mall     Catalog     Articles     Contests     Events     Groups     Forum     Contact  
Homeschool World Forum Forum Index Homeschool World Forum
Read thousands of forum posts on topics such as homeschool law, getting started, curriculum, special needs, homeschool vs public school, and much, much more!
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone else with a child who doesn't need to sleep much?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Anyone else with a child who doesn't need to sleep much? Reply with quote

The challenge I have with my daughter is the same challenge my mother had with me alone and none of my siblings. The girl just doesn't sleep as many hours as most children do at her age.

She is six years old and I have heard her talking to one of her multitude of invisible friends up to at least 10:30, even midnight some nights, and then she is up around 7:00 to 7:30 completely awake and happy--all this with no naps!

I kind of understand as I sleep only about 6 to 6 1/2 hours most nights and have been that way while I was still in elementary school. It really drove my mother crazy as she needed more sleep than the average person, at least 10 hours but often up to 12 hours.

We recently began allowing my daughter to read with a set lights-out time of 9:00, but she is often still awake over an hour after that. My husband says that as long as she is in bed and not up running around or being entertained, although awake, she is still resting, but I remember hours of absolute boredom when I was dealing with this as a child. Of course, I shared the bedroom with my sister so I had to be quiet to not disturb her and I could not read at all. At least, my daughter can talk out loud to all her imaginary friends after lights-out.

Anyway, I am not looking for a solution as I think this is just the way she is, as I am the same way. I was wondering if anyone else has this challenge and what you do/did?
Theodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More exercise. A tired kid is a sleepy kid. What does she do for physical activity during the day?
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that concept, Theodore. My husband and I were in body building and we believe exercise is very important.

She does tend to go to sleep a bit earlier with lots of hard activity, but it takes something like three to four hours more over the daily activities she already has to result in her sleeping an hour more. We do have exercise most days. She does run around with the neighbor's children a couple of evenings a week. Even the days we go roller skating for three hours, there rarely is any significant difference in how long she sleeps.

I was a very active child with my brother and sister, and neighborhood children and, likewise, I still slept few hours, too.
Sandy
User

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes...my dd is 3. She generally goes to bed around 8pm, falls asleep fairly quickly (usually), then is up by 7:30 or so the next day. No naps, for over a year now. I keep thinking "I've really got to crack down on this nap thing," because that's what the books and my well-intentioned friends say. But then I look at her...she's the happiest, sharpest kid I know, imo Laughing . According to my mom, I was the same way. I was a big nap-hater, and I remember trying to keep myself awake so my mom wouldn't leave my room when I was around 6 or 7. I really think it's just the way some kids are wired. My 2nd dd is 13 months. She still naps 2 times a day, 1 1/2-2 hours each nap. Then she's down for 10-11 hours at night. At that age, my oldest was taking one nap, and at 20 months or so, was singing and playing through that nap. Shortly after she turned 2, her sis was born, and out went the nap. But she seems fine.
ncmom
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seekingmylord I am right there with you. My daughter can be up until midnight and still gets up the next day between 6 and 7. It drives me nuts because I want to only need 6 hours of sleep, I need at least 9 to function. She has done this since she was born and is almost 9 now. Our rules are like yours. She is in bed between 8 and 8:30 then has 30 mins to read then lights out between 8:30 and 9. My son however likes to stay up all night and sleep all day. So what I have done is put them to bed at their designated bedtimes and the rule is I don't care what you do but you have to stay in your room and in your bed then I go to bed when I am ready. They still have to get up for school the next day and if they are tired, well you should have gone to sleep is what I tell them. The TV is locked so it can't come on and the computers are password protected. My kids are not ones to sit all day either they are constantly outside doing something. Usually I find them up a tree or down the road on bikes so exercise is not an issue. I am going with the theory it is just their body makeup and as long as it doesn't disrupt the rest of us then, oh well.
Pam
User

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Try 3 that don't need much sleep!! My kids were up until 1:00a.m. this morning...... and got up at 8:00a.m. Everyone is happy and chipper today....... except me. Razz

They do sleep a bit more if they are in the pool or riding the motorcycle or something for awhile each day........ unfortunately yesterday was a flop around the house kind of day. Rolling Eyes

Good Luck Seeking!! Laughing Laughing Laughing I feel your pain.
seekingmyLord
User

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pam wrote:
Laughing Laughing Try 3 that don't need much sleep!! My kids were up until 1:00a.m. this morning...... and got up at 8:00a.m. Everyone is happy and chipper today....... except me. Razz

I don't think you can blame them for that.... (Ducks and runs!)

Three? Three! I don't feel your pain and I don't want to! Razz

=^..^=

It really doesn't bother me much yet. Like last night, I went in around 10:30 to give her my night kiss and there she was, eyes wide open. My sweet little Princess (children are always so sweet when lying quietly in bed, aren't they?) telling me she just cannot sleep yet. She does tend to settle in better after I go to bed.

I have always been an early riser and I like my morning quiet time. I get up usually between 5:00 to 5:30. My husband likes his own quiet time at night.
StellarStory
User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than more physical exercise which doesn't mean it can't be work around the house btw, all I can say is be glad she can entertain herself. That's such an important skill!

My daughter had a clock in her room. She was NOT allowed to get out of her room before 6:30 a.m. (That was an easy time for her to understand.) She did have toys and snacks to keep her busy.

When she got up she was encouraged to do certain things on her own for at least thirty minutes and eat her cereal which was all she wanted at the time.
I always left a cooler out with her milk for her.

It worked out well. Even though she enjoys people she can do things quite happily on her own.

Right now at age 16, I'm hoping she is learning how to decide for herself when to go to bed in order to best handle her responsibilities on any given day. When she gets out on her own that will aide her a great deal, I think.
laurabeth
User

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone else with a child who doesn't need to sleep much? Reply with quote

seekingmyLord wrote:
The challenge I have with my daughter is the same challenge my mother had with me alone and none of my siblings. The girl just doesn't sleep as many hours as most children do at her age.

She is six years old and I have heard her talking to one of her multitude of invisible friends up to at least 10:30, even midnight some nights, and then she is up around 7:00 to 7:30 completely awake and happy--all this with no naps!

I kind of understand as I sleep only about 6 to 6 1/2 hours most nights and have been that way while I was still in elementary school. It really drove my mother crazy as she needed more sleep than the average person, at least 10 hours but often up to 12 hours.

We recently began allowing my daughter to read with a set lights-out time of 9:00, but she is often still awake over an hour after that. My husband says that as long as she is in bed and not up running around or being entertained, although awake, she is still resting, but I remember hours of absolute boredom when I was dealing with this as a child. Of course, I shared the bedroom with my sister so I had to be quiet to not disturb her and I could not read at all. At least, my daughter can talk out loud to all her imaginary friends after lights-out.

Anyway, I am not looking for a solution as I think this is just the way she is, as I am the same way. I was wondering if anyone else has this challenge and what you do/did?

Sounds like your mother and me have a lot in common lol. My dd is a morning person no matter how late she is up and like yours she doesn't fall asleep well early either. My dd is also 6 and she too will be up a while after lights out and up at the crack of dawn. We have finally come to a point where as long as she is in bed I don't fuss about it. I am a night person, I cant sleep at night and am lucky to get to bed before 3 am most nights but need more than a few hours of sleep, thats my issue. Because of a medical condition, regardless of when I fall asleep I get my best sleep from about 3-4 am to 10-11 am so I am always a crab during the week lol. I try to catch up on weekends when hubby is here because he is a morning person and spends weekend mornings having daddy/kids time.

I wish I could be of help, but I really don't know what to do myself lol. I figure as long as she is healthy and happy she is getting the sleep she needs.
gellegbs
User

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two boys couldn't be any more different as night and day. My oldest needs 9-10 hours a night (he's 7) my youngest son needs 8 or less (he's 6). I think the difference is that my oldest is a very active and hyper little guy (burns a lot of energy during the day) my younger one is very laid back and calm.
jacky
User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count yourself fortunate!!!! My daughter (the middle of the three) only had 2 hours every 24 hours until she was four - and this wasnt always at night time! My Christian health visitor then gave her a sixteenth size violin to her for her fourth birthday (I am a musician as well) and told me to do an hour violin practice (ie mental stimulation) with her every night - this worked!!! - it increased her sleep to 4 or 5 hours and all this was at night time - pure bliss!!!!
With my DS aged 3 - who also doesnt like sleeping particularly, I find physical activity followed by A LOT of mental activity helps sleep. Alternatively, he can ALWAYS sleep during a certain pastor's sermons!....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Homeschool World Forum Forum Index -> Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours (CST)
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: