If my child wants to learn something I can't teach

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

rg1570
User

If my child wants to learn something I can't teach

Postby rg1570 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:46 am

You don’t have to be the teacher for everything your child wants to learn. Your child may successfully opt to self-teach, or to get together with other students to form a study group around a particular subject. You can hire a tutor or barter for help with another interested family.

Community college classes are an option, and lessons via the Internet, television, videos, and computer software are increasingly available.

Laura

http://online-homeschooling.blogspot.com/

Tabz
User

Postby Tabz » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:02 am

My mother was slightly worried about this issue - but by the time I was 9 or 10 I was teaching myself. When my sister got to those subjects I taught her! :)

Tiarali
User

Postby Tiarali » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:39 pm

My husband made the false assumption that when we got to high school, he'd automatically take charge of maths and science! I do want him to get involved, but I want him to get involved from the beginning, and I don't want him to make assumptions about what I can and cannot teach, and just jump in before I have a chance!

I'm actually really excited about being able to redo maths from the beginning. I was getting high distinctions in maths in year ten, and then went downhill in year 11 because I was given a teacher who couldn't speak English, seriously! (Stupid public school :( ) I'm so excited about having the opportunity to learn the things that the public school refused to adequately teach me. So yes, I've told him that my first plan is to learn the stuff myself, and if I need help he can tutor me, instead of the kids.

He can find another interest to share with the kids, from the beginning - I think he's going to do a garden with Jasmine.

Return to “Getting Started”