Anyone else with a child who doesn't need to sleep much?

Share everyday things like field trips, homeschooling experiences, or just anything that doesn't seem to belong elsewhere!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

seekingmyLord
User

Anyone else with a child who doesn't need to sleep much?

Postby seekingmyLord » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:38 pm

The challenge I have with my daughter is the same challenge my mother had with me alone and none of my siblings. The girl just doesn't sleep as many hours as most children do at her age.

She is six years old and I have heard her talking to one of her multitude of invisible friends up to at least 10:30, even midnight some nights, and then she is up around 7:00 to 7:30 completely awake and happy--all this with no naps!

I kind of understand as I sleep only about 6 to 6 1/2 hours most nights and have been that way while I was still in elementary school. It really drove my mother crazy as she needed more sleep than the average person, at least 10 hours but often up to 12 hours.

We recently began allowing my daughter to read with a set lights-out time of 9:00, but she is often still awake over an hour after that. My husband says that as long as she is in bed and not up running around or being entertained, although awake, she is still resting, but I remember hours of absolute boredom when I was dealing with this as a child. Of course, I shared the bedroom with my sister so I had to be quiet to not disturb her and I could not read at all. At least, my daughter can talk out loud to all her imaginary friends after lights-out.

Anyway, I am not looking for a solution as I think this is just the way she is, as I am the same way. I was wondering if anyone else has this challenge and what you do/did?

Theodore

Postby Theodore » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:43 pm

More exercise. A tired kid is a sleepy kid. What does she do for physical activity during the day?

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:59 pm

I appreciate that concept, Theodore. My husband and I were in body building and we believe exercise is very important.

She does tend to go to sleep a bit earlier with lots of hard activity, but it takes something like three to four hours more over the daily activities she already has to result in her sleeping an hour more. We do have exercise most days. She does run around with the neighbor's children a couple of evenings a week. Even the days we go roller skating for three hours, there rarely is any significant difference in how long she sleeps.

I was a very active child with my brother and sister, and neighborhood children and, likewise, I still slept few hours, too.

Sandy
User

Postby Sandy » Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:41 pm

ncmom
User

Postby ncmom » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:13 am

Pam
User

Postby Pam » Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:36 am

seekingmyLord
User

Postby seekingmyLord » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:56 am

StellarStory
User

Postby StellarStory » Wed Sep 05, 2007 2:11 pm

laurabeth
User

Re: Anyone else with a child who doesn't need to sleep much?

Postby laurabeth » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:11 pm

gellegbs
User

Postby gellegbs » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:00 pm

My two boys couldn't be any more different as night and day. My oldest needs 9-10 hours a night (he's 7) my youngest son needs 8 or less (he's 6). I think the difference is that my oldest is a very active and hyper little guy (burns a lot of energy during the day) my younger one is very laid back and calm.

jacky
User

Postby jacky » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:27 pm

Return to “Homeschool Parents / Off-Topic”