Need help finding a balance

Having problems figuring out where to start? Let other homeschoolers offer you some advice!

Moderators: Theodore, elliemaejune

kkapfe
User

Need help finding a balance

Postby kkapfe » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:11 pm

This is our second year homeschooling my 2nd grader. Our kindergartener (middle child) is going to private school this year. I am having a very difficult time finding balance for some reason. I always feel like I'm behind with school and frankly I have the entire year already planned out so I'm not really behind at all, I just feel that way.

Anyhow, my middle child is requiring a lot of quality time lately that I don't have the time to give because I need to get my "teacher" stuff done. I really feel like having them go to school would help me be a better mom because I would be refreshed and ready for them when they would get home in the afternoon. I just can't seem to get a break from them and we all end up tearing each other apart.

Any suggestions?

zozomom
User

Postby zozomom » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:22 pm

Dear one,
I have been where you are. First I would PRAY, second, maybe consider other less demanding curriculums, such as Sonlight or Learning Language Arts Through Literature. These are great without requiring a lot of prep time and may be a better fit. Third, do consider a break for yourself. Only you know your circumstances. I needed to do this before things went way downhill. Now we are doing part time ps and hs. Do not let the "peer pressure" that can happen among homeschoolers make that decision for you.

kkapfe
User

Thanks for the encouragement

Postby kkapfe » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:17 pm

I appreciate the kind words. I already have my curriculum for this year. We are into our second week of school. It's really this past summer that has killed me, getting ready for this school year. Let me tell you...it was not a vacation!

I think that a lot of the stress stems from the fact that I am also teaching my nephew who just came from public school and will be returning to public school in a year or two. I don't want to leave him with any gaps.

My concern with going with an already planned out curriculum is that I will get bored with not being able to feel like "I'm my own boss". I tweak curriculum that I buy sooooo much that if I spent a lot of money on a piece of curriculum, it wouldn't even be worth it in the end.

I'm definitely going to try to plan breaks for myself. Just today, I forced myself to sit down and watch a movie with my girls and do nothing while I watched it but simply watch. It was nice.

I welcome as many suggestions as possible! Thanks for your tip!

4given
User

Postby 4given » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:02 pm

I don't know if this will help....When I start feeling overwhelmed, stretched thin, etc., I just try to remind myself why we chose to HS in the first place. Pondering those things helps me to prioritize or "get on track", so to speak.

momo3boys
User

Postby momo3boys » Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:32 am

I take a break in "mommy time" I go to my room where I have a window that I look out, or read in my chair. The boys know that this is mommy time and they are to answer the phone and handle their problems by themselves. It creates independence and they realize that they are being a big help to me, which makes them feel bigger. If I don't get my mommy time for the day, when my husband comes home, he knows it. All he has to do is look at me and he knows. Then he sends me to my room. I love this guy!
Phi 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

Return to “Getting Started”